Anyone got this problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2002, 20:55   #1 (permalink)
EBeast

Anyone got this problem

My car is an EB 5spd manual with a 2.5in exhaust. Ive noticed that my car stinks, the odor comming from the exhaust is feral. You only know(the driver) when you stop. My friend was driving behind me one day and he said when i accelerate away from the lights it stinks aswell. I seem to have alot of black soot or something occuring on the back of the car. Is this something wrong with the car not running properly or is it the 2.5in exhaust.

Please help. Its stinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2002, 21:03   #2 (permalink)
AcidBurns

Its your cat (Catalytic Converter), Its deaded.... Rotten egg smell? :(
Old 04-03-2002, 21:06   #3 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

If you have just had the exhaust installed then it will stink for a while around 2-3 weeks.Ususally the paint burning off.Mine did stink after I had the 2 1/4 installed and also the 2 1/2.The most common cause of the smell is the unleaded or premium unleaded you are running.For some strange reason once burnt off and the cat does its thing the exhaust gas will really stink like rotton eggs and then others it won't.****ed if I know why but thats probably the mane cause.

CYA Lukey.

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 21:11   #4 (permalink)
EBeast

Smelly

The exhaust is half a year old so its definateley burnt in . It might be the cat. How much are new ones. Also can a bad cat cause it to idle badly. My car sometimes splutters and revs inconsistantly. Any ideas?

Old 04-03-2002, 21:26   #5 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Re: Smelly

I ****ed cat can sometimes cause a very bad smell but this will be constant Once up to 400 degrees.The only real way to check the cat is remove the rear flange off the cat and inspect with a torch.If you see honey comb substance with a accurate square structure (not melted or wrapped) and light shines through ok then its servicable.A cat is meant to be replaced every 100000km for interest sake anyway.

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
Brent79

I just got my cat changed yesterday... it was totally ****ed and all the loose bits had blocked up my rear mufflers so the entire exhaust had too be replaced. It gave off a smell like burning rubber and spewed out white smoke every now and then.

Brent
Old 04-04-2002, 09:12   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

My question is this: is the car using excessive fuel and is it getting up to normal operating temp within a reasonable period of time?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 09:17   #8 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Price of exhuast

We got two leaks and one dead muffler in our exhuast system and a suspected blocked cat, got a few quotes and the best I got was at Jack Beedhams for $379. Includes, new cat, 2." piping and one muffler. Is this a good price? Toys muffler mart quoted me $400 but with a 2.5" cat

Ed
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
EBeast

Problems

My temp gauge on the dash never goes past cool maybe its a thermostat causing bad running. It does seem to use alot of fuel. My probs i guess are poor running(idle), smelly exhaust, uses abit of petrol.
Old 04-04-2002, 22:08   #10 (permalink)
Master

cat

hey, i have heard of people hollowing out their cat coz it gives u 3 kw or something, is this true or not? if so, just put the shell of the cat on so u dont get caught and have this problem eva again.

-Master-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech