Anyone heard of this? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2003, 03:16   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Can anyone help?

Any assistance with this query would be appreciated:

"G'day Jack,

About 12 months ago I purchased a Falcon for my wife. This EA 1988 "S" was in very good condition. It had only travelled 80,000 genuine kilometres. Before I purchased it, I took it to my local mechanic who agreed it was a good buy.

But after a short time, I noticed a fair amount of water vapour coming from the exhaust. I took the vehicle to the local FORD dealer who diagnosed a blown head gasket and later, after dismantling, a cracked head was diagnosed. This was replaced with a genuine FORD remanufactured one, but since then we have had a problem that the FORD dealer has not been able to fix.

They seem to have replaced every thing except the rear seat (the money that I have paid out has almost reached the original price I paid for the vehicle) but still we have this problem of erratic rising of the engine revs,which will occur at any time either stationary or whilst driving. I was wondering if you have heard of this problem before and if so know the fix. I would be most grateful for any information.

Regards,

Peter"

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2003, 05:30   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Anyone?

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 06:03   #3 (permalink)
now with EF power!

I would only be guessing, but have you checked the computer? Maybe try another computer from an 88 s'pac and see how that goes. Really, i dont have much experience in this area but im just putting my idea in. :)

Thanks

Dane.

Mods List:
Kenwood head deck, Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub and Punch Amp....and hubcaps!!

My Gallery!
Proud TQE Operator
danege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:15   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like the Idle speed controller
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 14:58   #5 (permalink)

Yeah i was about to say, maybe ISC or TPS. Might cause problems like this, otherwise, could be computer. I am just guessing here as we dont really know what was replaced and what motor is in it. Is it the 3.9? MPFI or CFI?
Old 02-26-2003, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
EA Falcon.com Member

Sounds like the TPS to me. Have you got a list of what has already been replaced/tried?

3.9 CFI Falcon. King Springs, Monroe GT Shockers. Formula 1 Tinted windows. Pioneer 3350 Head Unit, 12" JL Audio Sub. 6"-9" Pioneer 3 Ways, 4" Clarion 2 Ways, 500watt Schneider Amp, 222watt Sony Xplode Amp. Really shitty 14" Jelly Beans
Clutterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:54   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I have a ISC if he needs it :)

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 23:21   #8 (permalink)
peter

thanks everyone for your imput, here are the parts replaced
actuator thotl ctrl , idle control, idler pully and bracket, all belts, pcm module, distributor, powersteer sensor and "O" ring, 6 spark plugs,spark plug lead kit,thermostat and seal,coolant sensor, fuel injector sevice, plus the parts for the original fault which were Cilinder head , new style C/H studs, radiator (later model) water pump, welsh plugs,radiator cap and all hoses-- costs to date--$3600---.almost the price paid for the vehicle.if any further help with ths one would be appreciated
Old 03-03-2003, 23:25   #9 (permalink)

f**k that's a fair amount u've spent! I guess ur not too happy to still have problems ay?! Anyway, try ISC, MAP and TPS. See if that helps. May or may not, but hopefully we can find your problem for you without too much more money spent!
Old 03-03-2003, 23:38   #10 (permalink)
peter

thanks silver EA, but what are these parts ,ISC MAP AND TPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech