ATTN: CFI > MPI guys - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2002, 17:35   #1 (permalink)

Question ATTN: CFI > MPI guys

Anyone who has done the conversion listen up because I need some answers. On Sunday I bought most of the MPI parts from Bass Crazy in preperation to do the conversion some time in the near future.

Now, I just went and had a talk with my Mechanic about the whole idea and he seems to think that it would cost a fair bit for not much gain. But he is going to research the idea and get back to me anyway.

So, here are my questions;
Is the extra power very noticeable?
Does the engine run any smoother/quieter?
How is fuel economy?
Any problems since doing the conversion?
How much did the conversion cost for each of you? including parts and labor (if you had someone else do it)
And finally, are you happy with it? Is it what you expected?

The reason I ask these questions is because I have heard all sorts of mixed reports on the subject. Some guys reckon the MPI isn't much better while others think it is a world ahead as far as performance/refinement/economy is concerned.

I know most of this has been covered before and for that I appologise, it's just that quite a few people have done it now so I want to find out the general thoughts on it.

Anyway, thanks in advance guys.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2002, 00:46   #2 (permalink)

Wink conversion

i know this wont help you but the only reason i want to convert over to MPEFI is the easier starting on cold mornings, and the ease of adding a turbo/supercharger that i want so dearly for freakin $3-4 grand...

try turbo/supercharging a CFI....no mechanic wants to know about it not even C.A.P.A (www.capa.com.au) unless you have
MPEFI...

i'm sure the others will tell you the pros and cons my reasons are menial
3inch exhaust
ea_39_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 00:54   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

In case it's of use, here are some previous threads on the topic:

MPFI conversion complete!

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread...MPI+conversion

MPFI conversion complete parts list

MPFI conversion done, hmmmmm

I cant believe some people...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:13   #4 (permalink)
EB wagon

Hey Kenaz....

Before i got my conversion done, i expected BIG results. Because i was expecting there to be a very noticable increase, i think i was let down by the not-so-large increase i got. Differences i noticed wasnt so much in power but torque. It did seem to pull alot better going up hills etc. I didnt notice much increase in acceleration or that 'push back in yer seat' type of power.
But like ea_39_s said, it starts a hell of alot easier on the cold starts. Fuel economy virtully stay'd the same for me. I think if
you can get the parts cheap and do most of it yerself, then its well worth the $$$ and effort. The project for me, blew right out and it ended up costing me more for the conversion than it would have cost to get a 4.0L MPI rebuild put in. This happened coz i opted to get them to re-wire the exsisting harness which brought all sorts of problems.... so if u are doing it, do what others have done and replace the entire EFI harness/loom. Atleast it looks alot more presentable under the hood :)

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 17:29   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going back to my mechanic today so hopefully he will be able to give me a rough idea of cost. Because I will be providing all the parts it will just be the labor involved. He reckons about a days work.

I am doing this to provide a better starting platform for further mods down the track, such as a cold air intake. And don't worry ea_39_s I won't be going down the forced induction path with this car.

Anyway, I will let y'all know how I get on this afternoon.
Old 08-16-2002, 22:44   #6 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Re: ATTN: CFI > MPI guys

Quote:
Is the extra power very noticeable?
Yes, there is more top end power. Mid range is way better than CFI

Quote:
Does the engine run any smoother/quieter?
The engine will rev easier and will be a bit smoother in high rpm.

Quote:
How is fuel economy?
Seems to be about the same, but for the extra power it is a bit more economical - if you know what I mean

Quote:
Any problems since doing the conversion?
Yes, a case of lead foot and also I did not change the wiring loom and the wires for the idle control are in the wrong place, so Ive had to screw the idle screw right up to get it to stay going.

Quote:
How much did the conversion cost for each of you? including parts and labor (if you had someone else do it)
The parts cost me $150 from a wrecker and that included the manifold, cold air box, injectors and fuel rail, air conditioner bracket - remind your mechanic of this, a/c belt, ecu, fuel pump, longer throttle cable and accelerator pedle (the pedle isnt required). I also got a intake manifold gasket from Ford for $26. I didn't change the distributor (as Australians refer to as the dizzy). I am going to because the timing goes to about 60 degrees advanced when it gets sudden load and Im not sure if it should. TOTAL COST: $176.00 plus my time which was about a day of mucking around. If I had to do it again, it would take about 3 to 4 hours, since I know what to do now
Quote:
And finally, are you happy with it? Is it what you expected?
Yes. By far it is the best bang for the buck mod for a CFI. I didn't really know what to expect. I was a bit dissapointed when I first drove a CFI because it seemed to die in 5th, but now with MPI and a bit of optimax, it canes.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:55   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

A 4l cam? What sort of difference is there? I have the 4.0 ecu running the 3.9, I may as well get the cam as well...
Old 08-18-2002, 01:02   #8 (permalink)

If I can pick up the rest of the parts during the week I might have a go at changing it all over next Sunday/Monday.

Worst case scenario, I have to call a Mobile Mechanic or Auto Electrician to finish the job. Or I bolt the cfi stuff back on and drop the car off at the Mechanics.

Thanks NZinAUS and Gli 90, that's exactly the type of stuff I wanted to hear.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:06   #9 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

No problem
Old 08-18-2002, 11:06   #10 (permalink)
EB wagon

NzinAUS - Try connecting the other ISC wire (not the grey/white) to the purge solenoid's red wire - This worked for me, idles sweet.

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech