AU Adaptive Shift Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2002, 13:50   #1 (permalink)

AU Adaptive Shift Question

I have searched all this forum on this matter, and have found several threads, however I still am left a little confused, so bear with me.

I have recently purchased a late 98 AU XR6 HP. It is fitted with the Adaptive shift transmission. However the manual with it does not contain any reference to selecting a set Econo, Pwr or Adaptive mode, nor does the AU1 have an ECO icon on the trip display, and again the manual indicates that the XR6 does not have such an icon.

I have checked a work mates AU3 XR6HP, and the manual explains how to change modes, and the trip display has an ECO mode icon, and the manual states it does also.

So my real question is, does the Adaptive Shift transmissions fitted to the early AU1 XR6's support setting the software as explained in the AU2/3 manuals and simply misses out on the ECO icon to confirm the setting....

Or does the AU1 not support selecteble modes and only support Adaptive shift.

I have played with selecting modes, however am unsure the change is made, with the absense of the ECO icon ones mind is left in doubt and I may only be simply wearing out the selector lever and key.

Your comments are welcome

Cyril
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2002, 22:30   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

I used one of the methods found on this forum to program my AU1 XR6VCT. it also does not have an Eco light, so I just waited for 5 seconds after finishing the programming before I did anything. I used the Performance/power mode and have found the shifts to be a lot more agressive than they were. i have also set it back to Adaptive just to see if there was any difference, and I reckon there was. It's back on Power setting as adaptive takes too long to think about what gear I want! Of course it is possible that the differences may be all in my head!

Give it a go yourself and see if you can pick any difference in the shifts. (BTW, in Econ mode, the shifts happen at lower revs, while power mode holds each gear for more revs.)

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 15:56   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the comment JCV8, I have tried all modes, but I am still sceptical that there is any change. Would be good to have a definitive answer as to whether the transmission supports that mode change or not.

Cheers

Cyril
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech