Ford Forums banner

AU Premium Sound Amp?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JC-XR8 
#1 ·
My fathers amp has blown up in his AU F/Ghia. I have a few quaestions if someone could help me out with them.
1. What type of amp is it, 4 or 5 channel.
2. Does it use RCA inputs or speaker.
3. What power does it output.
4. If RCA, how many does the head unit have.
5. How much to replace, or what could i replace it with.

Thanks.

#5 ·
What's it doing? No noise at all? one channel not going?

If you've given up on it there is no harm in poping it open and having a look. Quite often they will be some visual clue as to what has failed (blown cap, regulator,resistor, fuse etc)

If it has failed completly then it may be a voltage regulator or some other servicable component.

#8 ·
athlon said:
I am a bit suspicious of the diagnosis by the dealer. On cd sound only out of passanger front, on radio sound out of two fronts only. But they said they had a auto electrician come in and check it out.

$450 for a new amp.
I'd be very suspicious of that diagnosis too, isn't the amplifier only for the sub? And the rest run off the head unit? In any case he fact that the output is different for different sources doesn't point straight to the amp imho,

That said, if the dealer will fix the system for $450 and not ring you and say, actually it's ... we need to do. . . as well. And I'd ask for the old amp back when they replaced it too

#9 ·
At $450, I'd definitely get Ford to do the work, if it's actually the amp that's dead.

I reckon it could be some broken dry solders in the head unit - I had a similar problem with my EB2 Ghia - cost around $50 to fix at a car audio place (about 6 years ago).

I would take it to someone like Strathfield or Autobarn etc and get them to give you a diagnosis before going any further with ford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.