Ford Forums banner

AU rotors onto EF

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  steed 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm going to get new rotors shortly and around the same time I'm looking for new wheels. Now everyone knows that AU onwards wheels don't fit the E series falcons, but what about if I get AU discs. Will they fit my EF ? If this works I should be able to bolt AU wheels straight on yeah ? It seems there's alot more AU wheels around for sale (and cheaper) than those for the E series.

Just an idea - tell me if I'm way off track :hy:

#2 ·
There would be no way in hell that you could put AU rotors on en EF. Not unless you change the front suspension setup on your EF. The AU have a "hat" type rotor while the E-series have bearings and all in the rotor hanging off a spindle.

#4 ·
Hyena, there is no point of putting au rotors on a ef/el.

Bremco Brake Packages are $2000 with twin pot calipers, otherwise you can get twin pot calipers from the ELGT (but you will need a few other bits and pieces, control arm etc to suite)

Easiest way and seems to be the go for 99% of the people with modified ef/els is to get DBA Crossdrilled Slotted or Slotted Rotors.

You can find these on www.discpads.com very cheap, otherwise your local auto store that sell rotors etc.

Fronts are $166ea (ABS) and rears are $137 (ABS) [crossdrilled slotted]. Slotted are cheaper by i think 20-40 on each rotor.

So my suggestion is DBA's !

#5 ·
fUSiON said:
Hyena, there is no point of putting au rotors on a ef/el....
fUSiON, Hyena's point is that he would like to be able to choose wheels that are available for AU offset rather than the more limited pre-AU offset.

I reckon it is well worth asking Hyena - I like that at least some of us think outside the square.

Will AU rotors go on an EF/L upright - nope, as explained above.

BUT......could it be possible to bolt a complete AU upright/rotor/brake assembly into an EF/L? Maybe!

I know the upper ball joint moved from the upright in the EF/L to the upper-arm in the AU so you would need to swap over the upper-arm as well. For fun Ford also changed the mounts of the upper-arm to body-structure but these all still bolt on at (I'm pretty sure) the same four bolt holes each side.

What I don't know is whether the lower-balljoint is the same unit and orientation, the distance between left & right ball joints is the same and whether the steering rack pick-up on the upright is in the same location and uses the same tie-rod ends. There is also the matter of swaybar - does it mount the same and brake lines but the last two points could be overcome with a bit of effort.

So, who has access to an E-series car and an AU and is handy with a tape measure and parts catalogue ?

Anybody......

#7 ·
RAPTOR said:
That's the front then there's the rear track to consider....... [/QUOTE

That would be the easy part !!

With so many aftermarket brake companies around now why bother???...www.cebcobrakes.com.au

#8 ·
Both the "K-Frames" for the E series and AU's are different. This is what I think you are refering to Raptor as the lower ball joints. I've got access to both E series and AU's and can honestley say that there would need to be a serious change in front suspension parts, and would possibly costly. If any one wants to try it, go for, these are just my 2c

#9 ·
No, I am referring to the lower balljoints in my post above. Speculating on whether a suspension upright (spindle, stub axle whatever you want to call it) transplant could be possible.

I have no doubt at all that a complete AU front suspension subassembly (including alloy crossmember etc.) could replace an E-series 'K-frame' though some fabrication would be required as they connect to the chassis rails slightly differently. As you say maco65, some "...serious change in front suspension parts...".

Though if it was a complete retrotech rebuild proposition that is exactly what I would do. Instant upgrade in suspension/brakes/steering/engine and access to AU wheels. Plenty more involved than just the handware transplant though; plumbing (fuel/brake/aircond/steering) and wiring.

It's gotta make some sense, that's how they put them together at the factory!

#10 ·
It could be possible to tranfer that, ahvn't exactly studied how the lower ball joints and sway bar... all join up compared to between the E series an AU.

#12 ·
I wasn't specifically after the AU brakes, I just thought that if I'm going do get new rotors anyway it'd be an added bonus if AU wheels fitted. I'll have the front suspension semi-dismantled to put in the new shocks and springs soon but it sounds like it's going in the too hard basket.

#13 ·
Changing the front suspension won't change the wheel offset difference between el & au. Try looking into having spacers made to go behind au wheels, I have seen this done to xh utes & eb sedans. Wheel stud patterns & hub diameters are the same for all models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.