Ford Forums banner

AU Unusual Engine Sound

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  taximan 
#1 ·
I've got a AU1 Forte Sedan. Its done 105600kms. I recently bought it, and i've noticed a unusual sound coming from the engine. Its hard to explain. When the engine idles, it clicks (not quite a clicking sound, but more of a slipping sound) every half a second (matching the rpm speed of the motor). When i accelerate, the sound becomes faster. You can't hear it when its doing 1500rpm+.

It doesn't always do it. I just had it serviced at Ford, but it didnt make that noise then. It did make it before the service though.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Could just be an injector pulsing. Get a long screwdriver and put the end of it on an injector and your ear on the handle and you will find out if some are "clickier" than others.

#4 ·
It could also be a loose exhaust manifold - I have what would appear to be a similar problem on my AU V8 and I've got it booked in for new manifold gaskets. Without actually hearing the noise, it's hard to diagnose so it could be a list of things.

#5 ·
Hey Dave, this is what was happening to mine, and of course when I took it for service, the sound didn't happen! Do you have LPG? They moved something to do with the LPG in the engine bay but the sound still happens, but it seems to be louder on hot days and in the mornings. And only if I have the window open and try hard to listen, very weird. They claim nothing is wrong so I don't know what to think, still sounds like the belts to me.

#6 ·
This sounds very similar to what happens on my EF. It's a manual and only 'clicks' when accelarating.

Of course, no one can hear it when I take it in to have it looked at.

When I first got the car I had an NRMA inspection on it. The guy said that it could be a loose nut on the flywheel, if so, why would it only happen when I press the loud pedal?

My car has now been like this for 2.5 years and nothing has let go, yet... (touch wood)

The click is not too loud, just load enogh for me to hear it all the time. It sounds like it comes from the passenger side of the engine bay.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for all the replys.

Problem fixed. The sound was coming from the belt pully/guide. For some reason it was making the noise when the belt was going around. Put some silicon spray on the guide and the noise was gone. Hopefully it doesn't dry out and happen again.

Might need some new belts soon. How often do they need changing? Do worn belts cause this noise? How long will the silicon spray last?

FTE22 - Not running LPG

crodarian - The stereo is a great idea, but i like the sound of the au engine :D

Just a note on the engine sound and the BA falcon. The BA sounds more 'rough' when accelerated firmly (compared to the AU). Am I just amagining things, or have others noticed this too?

#12 ·
sounds like the idler bearing on the spring tensioner is on the way out.there are 2 idler bearing one on top one on bottom best to change both at same time,the silicon spray won.t last if it is a bearing.To check bearing remove belt spin pulley and listen for noise should be quite if noisy,stuffed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.