au1 to au2 instrumant cluster

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  FalKeen 
#1 ·
anyone tried fitting an XR AU2 instrument cluster to a XR AU1
all works ok, but oil pressure gauge . after about 30 seconds
oil pressure light comes on and beeps are heard
any ideas anyone????????????

#6 ·
nevermind - i am just guessing you could get it from ford - bloody expensive i bet but i wouldnt think more than a completely new instrument cluster like XR8MICK has done...
(i would be very interested in the blue colours too so if anyone could find the price....)

#8 ·
mick if im not mistaken kieron is saying that they changed to a oil pressure SWITCH in the series 2's from an oil pressure SENDER in the series 1's. i have the same problem but the other way around, i need to change my switch to a sensor, im thinking you need to do the opposite?!

if so it could be a cheap solution us just swapping our oil pressure switch/sensors (im in caringbah)? maybe kieron could confirm this? or the parts guys at ford...

let me know :hy:

#9 ·
i took the instrument cluster out of a mate's series 2 today and the wiring is actually diffferent. plugs are the same, but the series 2 has more wires. so next step try and find a wiring diagram to see where wires go to
but if i have to swap oil senders you are welcome to mine falkeen

#10 ·
FalKeen said:
mick if im not mistaken kieron is saying that they changed to a oil pressure SWITCH in the series 2's from an oil pressure SENDER in the series 1's. i have the same problem but the other way around, i need to change my switch to a sensor, im thinking you need to do the opposite?!

if so it could be a cheap solution us just swapping our oil pressure switch/sensors (im in caringbah)? maybe kieron could confirm this? or the parts guys at ford...

let me know :hy:
I can't 100% confirm, it was somehting I heard was a technical change between AU1 and AU2's.

Should be easy to check though, the sender is near the oil filter, should be quite small if its a switch, about the size of a marshmellow and mounted close to the block, the oil pressure sender has a larger barrel and iirc is mounted on an extension about 3cms away from the block.

#19 ·
i'm trying to organise to get a workshop manual for a series 2 ,i'll be able to check the wiring differences between series 1 and 2 then. and see if that is my problem or not. but been working too late this week to do anything. hopefully next week wont be so full on, and i'll have time to do this. i'll keep you posted.
mick

#21 ·
yeah red-i that site doesnt help mick because he is having trouble with a series 2 cluster and they only deal with series 1 clusters

the site helped me alot though before, ive now got the xr cluster up and running in my car - put the oil pressure sensor in today and the gauge works so im cheerin!

micks still having problems though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.