AUII Speedo shat itself - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2003, 21:41   #1 (permalink)

AUII Speedo shat itself

Hey Guys,
well as you can tell my Speedo in my AUII spack isn't working. Last friday i was driving to work, doing 110 on the M4, the suddenly 120, 130, 120 and back to 110, since then it's been ok. This morning i was driving to work again & whilst doing 70, speedo went to zero, the odoometer stopped adding and the trans went into limp mode. Now i'm thinking my transducer is shagged, i searched the forums before & it appears this has happend to others. I've booked the car in at Ford early next week, but my question is, is this a common problem???? I'm really astonished that the transducer could fail after just over 3 years & 65ks use. I remember we changed one on my bro's fairlane a couple of years back but the car was 20yrs old, that was understandable. It could be just a dodgy part, but i always seem to get those, especially around the holiday periods when parts/reapair places are closed.

Cheers,
Adrian.

Last edited by AU2FalconS; 12-22-2003 at 22:28.
AU2FalconS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 23:30   #2 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

Re: AUII Speedo shat itself

you havent been fiddling around with any of the dash or trans have you?? (ANY of it??) this happened to me, after I did some minor fiddling (changed speedo to blue)
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:08   #3 (permalink)

younggun, i did a service two weeks ago, but there wasn't a problem until last friday, all i did was plugs, oil & filters. How did you go about fixing it. I'm thinking it's the speed sensor but i can't get under my car atm because my back's crook. The worst thing is that it's stuck in limp mode, so i can't drive it around.
Old 12-28-2003, 17:42   #4 (permalink)

Ok, got it fixed this morning. As i had suspected the transducer need to be replaced, works fine now.

Cheers,
Adrian.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:00   #5 (permalink)

Its a common problem dude.

Similar thing happened back in August 2000 when I picked up my new AUII Forte. In fact, the first time the speedo went to zero and the transmission went to "limp-home", the transducer had just become lose. It happened again about one week later, and this time they replaced the transducer. Hasn't happened again....

My AUII build was in July 2000. I am begiing to think there may have been a bad batch. Do u know your build month/date ?
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:14   #6 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

my dads au1 doesnt do that exactly but the speedo acts like a tacho some times, you rev it while in neutral and the speedo will go up exactly how the tacho will, i thought that was weird, told the old man about it, but its never happened with him. any idea what that could be?? plus what is limp mode???
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 13:30   #7 (permalink)

Hey Guys,

JamesA

My AUII was built in Aug 2000, so it's possibly a bad batch as you were saying. I hope it doesn't happen again. Since i brought the car i noticed that when i'm cruzing at about 70 in drive i could hear a grinding (not of metal though) noise coming from the trans, since the transducer was replaced it's gone so maybe thats what i was hearing.

EA_GHIA_2NV

Mate that sounds like a problem with the instrument cluster or maybe a bad earth, i don't think it was in limp mode. If it was in limp mode it would drive like crap, holds gears for a very long time, shifts rough and won't engage overdrive fourth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech