Is AUII XR8 200kw? Don't think so... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2001, 17:50   #1 (permalink)
kiwi

Is AUII XR8 200kw? Don't think so...

My AUII XR8 is gutless. Have asked Ford about it and they are dodgy. Won't confirm how they determine 200kw - does anyone know or can prove for sure they indeed are 200kw? Are the motors 'hand built' as the propagander states - I have heard they are straight from the states - ones that were destined for the 'Explorer' but never made it to original destination. Think about it - compare USA spec 5.0l explorer and you have XR8 motor minus a badge on the right hand side rocker cover. If they are Aust built, why not a GT40 top inlet manifold - why the standard Explorer one? If so can someone show me proof on a standard AUII motor - ie not touched by human hands since leaving the factory. I really have my doubts! All Ford will say for sure is ' they have to do 20,000km to loosen up'. I am pissed at my XR8. Should go better. Lets not mention the diff being noisey, trans slamming into first at 15km/h when coasting to lights, window switches faulty, hose clamp on left hand side of motor digging through bonnet cover, wheel balance / allignment out from new, vibration through drivetrain, etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2001, 19:49   #2 (permalink)
paul

Kiwi..I think you are right.I have mentioned this before.Direct from states!!!My E.B is still going well.
Old 06-16-2001, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Kon

Hmm doesn't sound good. Have you been to the drag strip or had it dynoed?

Re the engines being untouched I think you'll find that they get roller rockers and a different cam. Otherwise yes they are pretty much the same.

The Explorer intake is actually a pretty good piece having been an updated version of the Cobra manifold which itself was basically a cast version of the tubular GT40 manifold.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:25   #4 (permalink)

Kiwi,
Honestly most of the time you can take the manufactures output with a grain of salt, whether Ford or Holden. I know a bloke who is a Sales Mgr for Qld with Ford who has an AU2 XR8 to drive as part of his package and he says they're no where near 200KW. He had his dynoed as a matter of interest and got low 170's hp at the wheels. Although, I have been told by another that he got good gain out of a Powerchip and exhaust- 32 hp at wheels.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 07:52   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

kiwi,

Mate your figures don sound right. I saw an AU1 XR8 tock was making 146kw at the wheels. Wheels mag measure the stock TE-50 Series 1 200kw in Auto and got 144kw at the wheel, if yours is a manual you'll easy get another 5-7kw.
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2001, 16:39   #6 (permalink)

Kiwi,
Take it to another Dyno shop, maybe the one that you went to didnt have the right set up.
This way you know you got proof of which one is lying. The dyno or your car.
Wish you luck!
slow xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech