AUII XR8: What to look for when buying - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2004, 18:43   #1 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

AUII XR8: What to look for when buying

I need to know what potential problems to look for when looking at the AUII XR8 and also what a good dealer price is for one with 80000km on it. Also, if there are graduations every 2 km's on the Speedo (instead of the usual 5 im used to in the xr6) does this mean its an ex-police car? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2004, 21:03   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Re: AUII XR8: What to look for when buying

2km increments means cop car (I just got an AU1 XR8 ex-coppa).

Other than that, no major issues to look out for in the car. The V8 is a strong engine, so 80,000km is not a lot, and everything else would be the same as your XR, except for the IRS, which is fine anyway - I have not heard or experience any tyre wear issues etc with this setup. If it's a manual, you may want to look out for the usual gearbox gremlins associated with manuals (sloppy changes, strange noises etc). Same for an auto, too, I guess.

As for price, low to mid 20's - say $22k would be a great price, but it depends on what they are offering on yours. Changeover should be 2 to 5.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 22:00   #3 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

thanks JC, i spotted one yesterday at a dealer while mine was is for service. I it has $25K on it and they said they'd give me $19K for mine leaving approximately $6k changeover. the only problem is mine's still under finance and Im not sure wether I can change it over or even re-finance the existing balance plus the $6K changeover or whatever needs to be done....
Old 07-06-2004, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

$25000 is a good price for the AUII XR8. They usually sell for around $27 - $28.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the gearbox. The Police really give the auto box a workout. They used to change them (the gearbox) every 40000 kms but now they keep them.

You should be able to get a little bit more for your trade in. Your car is immaculate. I'd be pushing for $22 000 but no less than $20 500.
Old 07-06-2004, 23:37   #5 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Thanks Jamie!

After reading your post I went over to redbook.com.au and punched in (actually clicked) the figures and it says that trade in for mine with 60-70K on the clock (ive only got 52K) is between 17,300 and 20,100. I did a little playing around with these figures based on the afore mentioned fact that I only have 52K on the clock and I figure that I should be able to push for 20,500 thus leaving only a $5k changeover. The only problem I have to work out is the finance on the existing loan and the changeover, surely the dealer can sort that for me if they want the sale can't they?
Old 07-06-2004, 23:54   #6 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6HP01
Thanks Jamie!

The only problem I have to work out is the finance on the existing loan and the changeover, surely the dealer can sort that for me if they want the sale can't they?
They will do all that for you.

Go in and sit down with them. Tell them what you owe and what you want to pay a month off the new one and they will work it out for you.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:45   #7 (permalink)
XR82GO

yeah no real issues I have found maybe check to make sure the factory 6 stack in dash head unit works propally as they are know to play up. Dont suppose you want a ute do ya. lol

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:05   #8 (permalink)
3FB's Peter Pan!!!

Went to see about the car and give it a test drive yesterday morning. Test drive went well, especially since it was in the wet and all. Then went to work out the trade in and thats as far as we got. I was insulted by the offered trade-in they offered: $15,500, so I walked away from it there. The guy rings back 15 minutes later and offers an extra $1000, bringing it up to $16500. Second chance gone! I'll look elsewhere now!
Old 07-11-2004, 01:52   #9 (permalink)
XR82GO

Dont be convinced thats all its worth all the dealers offer shitty trade in prices. Try and sell it privately although this may take quite some time as the market is pretty flat at the moment, every one is having worlds of trouble trying to sell their cars myself included.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 04:21   #10 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

I would have been insulted by them offering $18000, in fact I was when I first asked for a trade in price for my AUII.

I ended up getting $23000 and mine only had 27000 kms, 2 years old. They would have sold it for $27000.

Have you asked what you would get on a BA XT V8? That might be a way ahead for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech