average lifespan - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2002, 18:43   #1 (permalink)
hjspot

average lifespan

I'm looking at buying a EA or EB S/W ,what would the average life expectancy of the motor be in Km.
Also if the headgaskets ar prone to failure would it be sensible to replace it before it goes or just leave it alone until it goes.Thanks John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2002, 20:40   #2 (permalink)
ben

My EA when i bought it had about 420,000k's on the original motor, 1 head replacement was done which was simply a second hand head off a $150 motor out of the quokka. the motor was thrashed heavily, overheated, run for over 200km's with about 2l of water, quite a few k's on the coolant light, many ****ed b/ends and low oil pressure. This motor still runs today, little noisy, but still not ceased.

if you find one under 200,000k's and well maintained it should do you a long time in my opinion, they really are tough built motors

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Definately!!

I would NOT wait till the head gasket goes, replace it before it goes, or you could have all sorts of problems, I know from experience on my old car!!

Cheers!
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 07:22   #4 (permalink)
Brent79

20000Kms+

Hey dude, my falcon EB 3.9L has gone 220K's and has had nothing done to the engine or transmission. Oil changes have occured at roughly 7,500kms and regular ignition parts checks and replacements where nessasary. Other than minor services, there has been no repairs to the engine. Only problem ive had with my 3.9L is it running hot. A radiator flush and new thermostat fixed that! Its a very reliable engine as long as you dont drive it like ben

Brent
Old 02-24-2002, 07:32   #5 (permalink)
ben

Re: 20000Kms+

well not so much drive like me, just drive, like me.

meaning drive the car when its ****ed.....but hey, my theory was "the pressure cap is off it shouldnt run rough or totally cease it" and it didnt......i actually drove the car with a trailor to pick up the new motor and bring it back to be put in

ben
ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 12:10   #6 (permalink)
rmyers1

radiator

If your worried about the head gasket, then regularly get your radiator totally flushed out,I mean get someone to rip the whole thing out and dip it in that acid stuff which will totally eat away at the crap that gets built up in there. This is what one of my mates said to do because the stuff that gets built up goes into the gasket, clogs and blows it, or something like that.
Old 02-24-2002, 15:14   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: radiator

My estimate on how long a Falcon six would last is something like this:

1 million kays if driven constantly and gently from new, like some taxis.

40,000 kays if thrashed constantly under ridiculous conditions.

Obviously these are extremes, but my point is that it will vary wildly depending on the history of the car in question.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 22:23   #8 (permalink)
Westkoast EA

Last how long?

My 89 EA has 280 000km on the clock ,no oil leaks-not 1 drop,runs almost perfectly excepting the belt driven fans clutch is screwed,will be fixed b4 friday ,wich is driving with your brain out day 4 me !.
Old 02-25-2002, 18:45   #9 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Bullet proof

I've seen alot of high mileage Falcons from 700,000 to 1.2 million and most of these are taxis and these things are not street machine material but they have oil changes of around 20000-25000km and maybe a filter,they run all the time which is good but sitting at ilde is not really good for a motor and then they get the ring cained out of them by drivers how don't give a shit and still go.Now if thats not a strong motor then I don't know what is.How many commodores do you see as Taxis????

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 19:14   #10 (permalink)
VN MAN

Taxi's

I dont think thats the deal i've seen a VR Taxi with 800'000 on the original motor, my mates a taxi driver, the only reason most taxi's are fords is because FORD has a deal with the taxi association so they get the cars cheaper, it isnt any better, and just the same as the COPS have a deal with HOLDEN as every cop car here is a holden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech