avgas issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2003, 19:28   #1 (permalink)

avgas issue

gday all, now a friend told me the other day that he may be able to get avgas as a consistant thing at bout the same price as pulp. the qn i have is that since its illegal to use in the good ol 351, is it possible to run it as 30/70 avgas/ulp ratio or there abouts or will mixing cause a problem. And will it really make that much of a difference???

also any opinions on the idea would be nice.
Pinkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2003, 19:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: avgas issue

If it makes any difference at all, it will actually make you slower........
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 20:45   #3 (permalink)

Had the same experience as Racer, with optimum timing on ULP98 + 20% toluene -vse- optimum timing on Avgas with my compression - 10.8:1 - was slower on the Avgas. Why the heck I don't know. Why is that Racer? Lower calorific value?

Currently I'm pleased with my current fuel blend. Using between 10-30% toluene, BP98, some oil additive and about 1.5% nitromethane. Not as good as the JP racing fuel I tried out recently, but at $120 for 20L, I'm not in a hurry to use it again.
Old 11-06-2003, 22:27   #4 (permalink)

The problem as I see it is that it is illegal to use it at all, otherwise I'd be straight on it. It would cure a lot of the problems I have as then I could run at 11.5:1 comp.
Also, apparently you won't be able to get it unless you can prove that you race, although I don't know how you are supposed to prove this.
Fat F100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 22:30   #5 (permalink)

Some form of club, cams licence, etc will suffice. My friend used the stuff on his 250GP bike. They got it to go as good as it did on Elf123 ($7.50/L).
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 22:44   #6 (permalink)

Racing fuel is the most misunderstood car myth. You need to use the lowest octane that you can without detonation - not the highest.

The only way you will gain power from running race fuel, is if you then use the most agressive tune up that the octane will allow. Ie, more timing, more boost, more compression.

The only other instance i can think of where you can gain power (or should i say stop losing power) , is when you get knock retard on a computer controlled car.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 00:44   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You need to use the lowest octane that you can without detonation - not the highest.
Well said Racer, I've been trying to tell 'em that for years.

:cheers:

Last edited by TopGhia; 11-07-2003 at 00:51.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 21:27   #8 (permalink)

me not octane.fuel minded, so why is it that you use lowest octane rather than highest, and does that apply for street toys too?
Pinkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:39   #9 (permalink)

The higher the octane the slower the burn rate is, this is it in a nutshell. If you have set the car correctly for 98 octance then stick in 105 with NO mods the car 100% of the time will go slower. You have kinda retarded the spark timing now due to the slower burn rate.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 23:41   #10 (permalink)

I have run 100ll avgas in my ea falcon as a 100% rate and found heaps more power and fuel economy, however i wont run too much in it as the lead will foul the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensor.
grant_EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech