Axle Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 21:45   #1 (permalink)
FORD FREAK

Axle Question

Ok I have a bent right rear axle in my ef falcon sedan, manual. I don't know much about axles and i was wondering who knows how much they are and what is a good price?
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 01:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: Axle Question

how did u bend the axel? is the axel tube bent as well? ... i got a spare rear end out of an au u can have cheap cheap and i am not that far away PM me for details
Old 05-20-2004, 03:55   #3 (permalink)
FORD FREAK

Well that is the mistery EvilCheif. I have not hit anything or had any instance where I could of hit anything. I recon when I got my discs machined about 3 months ago they damaged it taking the rear disc off. They were stuck on pretty hard, but I can't prove that.
Not sure if the axle tube is bent. It is not bent much, just enough to make my brake disc wobble and now my brakes squeek perminately.
Will the au axle fit my car?...........I am not real sure about that stuff.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:09   #4 (permalink)

mhm initeresting ... yes it would fit, however my diff needs new axel bearings ...
oh hang on ... different offset bugger

have a hunt around for maybe a better solution. i dont belive u can bent an axel by fitting disc brakes the wrong way ...

did u replace the rotors?
Old 05-20-2004, 04:24   #5 (permalink)
FORD FREAK

No the rotors were just machined and replaced. I remember trying to get the discs off myself but they were rusted to the axle pretty bad so I took it to the experts. I don't recon they bent it putting it back on, I recon they had trouble getting them off and don't you have to use a bit a force to get them off, and they could of bent them then.
All I know is I didn't have this problem prior to getting my discs machined and new pads.

Anyway thats ok, I will hunt around and see what I can get. Thanks anyway.
Old 05-20-2004, 18:59   #6 (permalink)
NON TURBO XF....

get it straightened, only costs about $50 and takes about an hour depending on how busy the place is....i believe most diff places/engineers can do it.

-> 1987 XF Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 4.1 EFI, T5, LPG, Clive Cam, Megatork Valve Springs, Crow Pushrods, Crow Timing Gears, Pacemaker Headers, Hi Flow Cat, Mandrel Bent Exhaust, ESA Straight Through Muffler, Grey Velour Interior, Full Electrics, Trip Computer, MOMO Race Wheel, King Spring Super Lows, Monroe GT Gas Shocks, Nolathane Bushes, EL XR8 Rear Axle w/ 3.45 LSD, Snowflakes
BLO GMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
FORD FREAK

Yeah I have looked into that BLO GMH, but I live in a small town and they aren't prepared to straighten it for me, and they can't garantee it will be right. It is only out about 7 thou and after the disc is on goes to almost half a millimeter.
I have two options.
1. I can machine the disc on the car to allow for the bent axle.....about $150 with new rotor. (new rotor needed to machine again)
2. I can install a new axle........about $300 installed.

I think i will go with the new one, for my own piece of mind becuase I am a stickler for doing things properly.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech