Ford Forums banner

Axle Tramp + Bang = ? ?

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  davway 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, I'm looking for scary suggestions on what I might have damaged or broken last night . . .

Basically, it was the first chance I had had to really give the car a good boot off the line since the 5 spd conversion, and as it turns out, was a little too enthusiastic and *cough* over-cooked it somewhat :fraz:
Had fairly large amounts of axle tramp, followed by a large bang from the back of the car, then normal launch . . . (am struggling to remember if it tramped any more after the bang)

Was fairly alarming (initially thought the wheel must have jagged the body somewhere), but after pulling over for a look, couldn't really spot anything out of place.
The only thing I could spot, was the bolt that secures the rear sway bars was bent (I *think* moreso than previously - It was definitely bent beforehand from a previous experience with an unpainted silent cop at night - curse you RTA :p ).

I'm a don't believe that the car / suspension could move enough to jag this bolt on the ground, so I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions ?

My only other thought was that I had done something to the diff, however I can't hear any unpleasant sounds, and it still seems to be doing the job (but I have almost nfi when it comes to diffs). . .

Everything else that I can see looks ok . . . so before I drag it up to get it checked out, are there any theories as to the cause ? (oh yeah, tis an EL XR8)

See less See more
#3 ·
or running over a speed bump (those little circular book shaped things )- done that before

#5 ·
exhaust could have dropped a hanger?

#10 ·
i reckon it's a tooth off a side gear in the diff, Try taking long corners or draining the diff and having a look..

Most of the time you won't get a sound out of the diff when one of the little cogs has lost a tooth, but after a while this will start to grind up other parts of your diff...

My old skyline did exactly the same once... I accelerated hard around a corner (Diff was One day old.. just replaced the one I had already broken) and it spun then went BANG... then no noise...

I thought it was fine, until noises start showing up (I had guessed the Suspension made the bang)... the noises got bad, so I opened her up.. had mutilated a sidegear. Caused by a missing tooth....

(My first diff Lost a tooth or two off the pinion, therefore eventually Munched up all but one side gear in the Diff)..
That was my fault though, when you do burnouts and nuts with a broken diff you gotta expect that.. The oil was mettalic when I drained it.. and 2 1/2 cogs were non existant... I had magnetic oil..
lol @ vapourised Cogs....

I had also bent the pin holes and twisted the Main Gear... That diff was a Big time right off...

The second one was welded up though :D then the axle went...
But 140 hp at ONE wheel was awesome fun...

The cops thought not, when they gave me a major defect and told me they were going to impound my car if they saw it again.....

I guess some people just shouldn't pull a 250 m burnout in front of an unmarked cop car...
lol

*My two cents *

#11 ·
I guess some people just shouldn't pull a 250 m burnout in front of an unmarked cop car...
hahahaha good effort mate :)
bloody cops

XR8 Lamah - It sounds to me like the tailshaft hit the tranny tunnel as has previously been suggested. Mine does this a lot spinning up in reverse :p Probably worth knocking the back cover off anyway to be sure, but I reckon it'll be the shaft.

#13 ·
Is there a counter balance weight on the back of the manual gearbox that could have come loose, it happened to my brothers car and always got a thumping noise against the body

#14 ·
Jesus Christ MakoZH, I thought _my_ diff was stuffed :p Again the cost of doing a burnout on a standard diff. One of the clutches slipped, single spun it for a few seconds. I stopped the skid and took off as normal, and boy, you knew about it. Every single corner the car would jump around, plenty of banging and crashing out back. Further inspection revealed both side gears missing 3 teeth each and a pinion shaft snapped in 2 places.

#15 ·
You might have busted an Engine Mount.

#17 ·
NZ remind me how to stall up a manual? :p lol

love the sig and avatar too - TQE's :ghey: then a pic of a lovely 4.0 in your avatar? what gives? :s6:

im going to bet on the tailshaft having hit the diff too.

also, repco sell tubular upper control arms for about $130 bucks for a set (ie left and right hand upper) that come with nolathane bushes already in them, biggaben and i have a set and no probs yet, and because of their design they fit XRs too (XR and nonXR upper arms are different if you get factory ones) maybe get a set of them?

#18 ·
I'm with Soxx on this one. Definately the upper and lower trailing rod arm bushes. I've had quite a few fords that bang and crash when hanging burnouts (back in the day), and all of them had shagged bushes. My EA with a 5 speed does this now and i'd say that its the bushes as they are shagged as well.

The other thing to check out is your rear shocks. Are they stuffed?

Mick.

#20 ·
in my AU if i put it in reverse and didnt wait those recomended 3 seconds before i took off i could get some totally serious metal snapping sounds coming from the arse end followed by the wheels bouncing and spinning and shaking the shit out of the car. never found out what it was but i think the new gearbox that came under warranty when i lost reverse (would reverse at idle speed and thats all) might explain it. dont think it ever done it after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.