Aztech: Update on Your Engine? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2001, 16:32   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Aztech: Update on Your Engine?

How are you going with your engine? I just got a brain strain and in my recovery was wondering if your headers had been checked.

Reason I ask is this can often be a misleading culprit for people chasing lifter problems.

To pin it down, place a screwdriver on your intake valley and place ear to the end. Mechanical noise should be obvious if it's a lifter. If the noise isn't obvious via this method, start looking at the exhaust!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2001, 15:47   #2 (permalink)
Turbo Pilot

Well the new engine has only got just over 1000kms on it and seems to have a horribly similar noise to the first one, which is a lifter racket which is worst between 2000 and 3000 rpm. Which, could be either this engine has a similar problem to the last one or the noise is coming from somewhere else.

I have thought about the exhaust being the problem but I don't think it is a leak because a) the exhaust has been fitted twice and b) the noise doesn't vary at all whether under power or trailing throttle.

I think I had once heard mention that certain headers can make noises because of pulses or some such thing. If this is what you mean let me know, however this would not be the case for your monster as you have a full Herrod exhaust , yes?

Anyway, I have learned to live with the noise, thanks to the fine stereo system always being above a certain volume, which is a good old technique I have used to repair things on my old XY's etc

Apart from that the ute is an absolute joy, and I love every bit of it (exept maybe that god damn Ford paint, it marks sooo easily and I do get upset)
Old 11-06-2001, 15:55   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder about the exhaust since mine still has the Tickford headers.

I CANNOT believe that the noises you and I have experienced (and I have seen/heard on many other XR8s) are acceptable in 2001 model cars. There has to be something in this! :oo1:

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 15:59   #4 (permalink)
Turbo Pilot

oh and when people say that these Windsors need a few thousand kms to loosen up, they are absolutely correct. The dealer told me that they had "placed an order for a new one from Tickford" and that, wait for it, "maybe I should just take the ute home and bring it back in two weeks." Oh my, I was soooo bad :s6: :s6: :s6: :s6: :s6: :s6: It is a pity that the rev limiter on these things is so harsh, you really get the message that your not supposed to be playing up there, not at all like those little rice cars.

Anyway after the swap the difference was amazing, at first I thought they might have stiffed me with a standard 175KW long block, but after 1000kms I think it starting to loosen up nicely (I am still gonna take off a rocker cover to check:s3 )
Old 11-06-2001, 16:03   #5 (permalink)
Turbo Pilot

Hey just a guess but I am betting that someone on Corral.net would know, if I wasn't so tired I would post, cause they seem to know everything else.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech