BA XR instrument cluster - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2003, 04:46   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb BA XR instrument cluster

Just wondering if anyone knows if the instrumnet clusters from BA XR series are fitted with hight intensity LED's. if so are these blue LED's or do they get their colour from filters in the cluster.

I was thinking of fitting these into my AU cluster as i think they look great on the XR's and want to try replicate the effect on mine.

I recently fitted blue covers over the globes, but it is not very bright and its very hard to see the needles at night.

I will contact ford to find out how much the BA globes will cost as well as the bulb holders. If i have any luck i will post cost and part numbers.
AU1XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2003, 21:04   #2 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

If I remember correctly from the launch of the car, I'm sure the articles said that the dash in the Falcon was using new LED light technology throughout the dash, which was how they got the different lighting effects for the different spec levels.

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 23:59   #3 (permalink)

I contacted ford - they weren't very sure if they are led's all they could tell me was that they are "special globes"

i will pick some up in the weekend and see how they go. they cost $3 per bulb with the bulb holder attached.

I will find out then if they get their colour from the globes or from the cluster.
Old 04-02-2003, 21:04   #4 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Im very intersted in what the outcome of this is looking foward to what you find out.

Steve B
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 23:08   #5 (permalink)

Unfortunately this mod will need to be put on hold. I contacted a City ford as it is close to work and i could not wait till the weekend to pick up the parts, and they advised that they could not find the part i was looking for.

I told them i just spoke to strapp ford and they had the parts, they insisted that as far as they could tell it was a sealed unit, when i questioned what would happened if one of the globes burnt, how could i change them, they asked me to get the part numbers.

I called strapp ford again and asked for the part number and explained the conversation i just had with city ford when the bloke decided to tell me that when i spoke to him the previous day he was quoting me tha AU part prices as they did not have any for the BA yet.

So will need to wait until these become available in the near future to find the outcome.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:57   #6 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Sounds like they might be leds, in which case the unit may be sealed as leds would never need replacing (well, maybe not never, but certainly not for the first 200 or 300,000 km).

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 14:11   #7 (permalink)

yep, i think thats right. Sealed LEDs.
am_bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech