Ford Forums banner

BA XR8 Balance pipes - help needed

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  xdc351 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you already know, my main b!tch about the BA XR8's performance is the low down torque.

I did some readup on the net regarding the use of balance pipes for exhaust systems(also known as H pipe, merge pipe, kiss pipe, X pipe, crossover pipe). Theory shows that balance pipes give better low down torque by creating a scavanging effect on some engines, usually "high powered" ones. It is not so much noticable on "street engines".

The stock BA XR8 exhaust system has one of these balance pipes after the cats. Most call it a "Y piece". The herrod system, D&T system and HPX system all reuse this Y piece. I'm not sure whether it is for performance or convinience sake.

My current exhaust system is a dual setup that does not use this Y piece. I am wondering if anyone has done tests on the BA XR8s to see whether they make any difference?

I am soon to have the pacemakers put on and I'm wondering if it's worth getting the blokes to stick the Y piece back on after the cats or not. My reservation for putting it back on is that it sounds way better without Y piece, but it's now in the back of my mind that I may be compromising low down torque.

I'm no expert on reading dyno charts but below is a copy of my recent run. Is it possible to tell from this whether the Y piece is required?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fullthrottle/MyXR8Dyno.JPG

If anyone has tested with and without the Y piece please let me know your findings. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just to be tricky, there are differences between a H pipe and X pipe apart from just the names (uncertain about the Y described on the BA's). The letter shape really tells the story of their difference !

These different designs of balance pipes also create different effects in performance ("Aussie Pete" did a reasonable amount of experimentation on his stroked AU XR8 I think - there is a thread somewhere about it).

So now there's some extra stuff to think on - Sorry :p

#3 · (Edited)
My understanding of balance pipes is a Y join is 2 pipes meeting and turning into one pipe from that point onwards.

The pipe you have described is a H pipe, which is 2 parrallel pipes joined horizontally with another pipe. From underneath it looks identical to the letter H.

The other popular type is the X pipe where 2 pipes meet in a junction that looks from underneath like a giant X, cross over, then continue as individual pipes to the exit. These systems give better torque then the others (i can vouch for this as I run one) and are getting a lot of popularity in aftermarket dual exhaust systems.

No balance pipe will sound poor and worse yet, loose power over any with a balance pipe.

NOTE: All dual into single systems have a Y join!

#4 ·
Yep their shapes can vary but they all serve one purpose i.e. balance the exhaust gas. I hear the X pipes give the best power gains of all the different types of balance pipes.

From what I've read so far, including threads from this forums on different cars, they either give better torque down low or no gain. I have not read of any instances where the use of balance pipes produced a negative effect. For this reason I've booked in for the pacemakers this Thurs...and will be putting the Y piece back on. Bringing power back at the expense of sound....

I dislike thinking for too long :)

#5 ·
xdc351 said:
My understanding of balance pipes is a Y join is 2 pipes meeting and turning into one pipe from that point onwards.

The pipe you have described is a H pipe, which is 2 parrallel pipes joined horizontally with another pipe. From underneath it looks identical to the letter H.
Just to clarify in case some people get confused. The Y piece on the BAs are two seperate pipes with a small oval hole (about 2cm wide, 10cm long) joining them. But they remain seperate. I prefer to call these a "kiss pipe" as they "kiss" rather than make a complete join as the letter "Y" indicates... but most of the exhaust shops have been calling them "Y piece". :werd:

No balance pipe will sound poor and worse yet, loose power over any with a balance pipe.
Agree with the power from what I've read. However, last time i put an X pipe on a v8 (soarer) it completely killed the pulse. So in that instance it made the sound "poor".

#6 ·
fullthrottle said:
However, last time i put an X pipe on a v8 (soarer) it completely killed the pulse. So in that instance it made the sound "poor".
Try running with no balance pipe at all, sounded like the engine was about to die at high rpm!

Not to sure about the X-pipe and lexus V8's, but then i've never heard one that sounded anywhere near as good as a Ford V8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.