Ford Forums banner

Back end feels sloppy

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  NZ 
#1 ·
Hey all. The back end on my falcon feels quite sloppy at the moment. I can feel the back wanting to go its own way sometimes if you know what I mear? I noticed it especially today when I was about to pass a slow truck and I chopped down to 3rd and floored it but found it was going to be a tight move to get past so backed off. The back had a really noticible sway when I did this. I tried to replicate this on another peice of road and it feels like the back is on meatballs. The other day I changed the diff oil and had the sway bar off to get the diff cover off. Could I have put it on the wrong way. The sticker on the bar that says do not tow from this etc etc is facing towards the back on the drivers sideand the writing is not upside down. So I guess it is on correctly... I guess its one of those things that you can feel thats not right when the car becomes part of you if you know what I mean?

#2 ·
The factory manual emphasises the need to reinstall the track bar bolts in the correct direction (bolt heads rear wood nuts to the front at the diff) and torque them up while the vehicle is in the curb load position (on ramps or the ground NOT stands under the axles). The bars appear to be the right way round. Have you got the driver's side track bar as the lowest one (closest to the ground at the diff)?

#3 ·
Hey Aussieblue - Thanks for your help. The tracking bar was the right way around. I undid the bolts and then re installed them. The passenger side was slightly loose so I fixed that. It seems to be a lot more stable now. Although I cant really see how having the bolt heads facing the front of the car would do much. But never the less, Its better, and thanks.
You are like the Daniel B Martin of Maxima.Org :)

#4 ·
Thanks NZinAus; I had to go to Maxima.org to find out who Daniel B. Martin was but I'm now feeling somewhat flattered.

BTW torque for track arm bots is 70 - 80 nm or 103 nm post 5/90 production when it's 103 nm. Also watch that the insulator sprigots/bushes are properly nested in their holes before torquing up otherwise they will be destroyed.

#6 ·
Well after about a year I finally figured out what I did wrong, The sway bar works from the tension in the centre bush and what I did was loosen the bolt off to allow me to get the other 2 bolts back in. Best way to do this if you need to is to jam a long screwdriver or other lever in the centre and lever the bar so they both move outwards.

Nothing like dragging up old threads hey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.