Base Idle Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2002, 00:59   #1 (permalink)

Base Idle Problem

Hi everyone.. : )

I have just installed a stage 2 crow cam into my EF, and as i was told earlier, it didnt idle after installation...

I have ajusted the base idle according to my Gregory's manual and it now idles..

My problem is that i just run the Self Diagnosis test with a LED test lamp, and in the Engine Running Mode it showed the code 411, which according to my manual is " Base Idle Speed Irregularity"...

Have i done something wrong when ajusting the idle as it seemed to do everything that the manual said it would, but i havent had a chance to go for a decent drive as it is out of rego at the moment...

Any help would be appreciated as im not that familiar with testing the ECU......

Thanx in advance.... : )
Kwigibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2002, 01:50   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Not %100 familia with 6's but you may have to re-adjust t.p.s.
There will be alittle black plastic piece close to your throttle body,on the shaft.With three wires comeing out of it.There is two screws holding it in, on the plastic you may have to elongate the hole to make it adjustable. A 1/8 drill will do that.With a digital multi meter set it to under 1 volt or .95.Then tighten screws.

Is your car rich at idle & smells of unburnt fuel? The tps[throttle position senser] is set too high,now that you have opened up the throttle to make it idle..It [tps] needs re adjusting..

Disc battery for some time too.Then as soon as you start it goose it which means go full trottle,the engine doesn't have to rev.It's just for the eec..O/K..
Oh by the way that tps adjust is done koeo [Reds].. eec talk for key on engine off.. hth.
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 01:51   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Those Crow cams end up making quite low vacuum at idle - which very likely results in idle perameters that make the ECU think WTF!! You'll probably find that "chunky" and at times down right cranky idle - plus that sort of error code - will be part and parcel of having that cam. My Mrs used to crack the shits bigtime when the 22825 was in our car (with the EFXR6 one in it she drives like a maniac - for the first time she has admitted that she approves of the expenditure on the car - but that's a different story).
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 05:25   #4 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

That code was probably there before you smoothed out your idle problems. Reset the ecu and see if it still comes up first.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:43   #5 (permalink)

Thanx everyone for the replys.... : )

I went out and had another look tonight before it got dark and noticed a few other things......

First i cleared all codes and took it for a drive then checked codes again when i got back...... the 411 base idle code was still there in the engine on mode...

Also i cleared a cam angle sensor code from the memory section of the KOEO test.... when i retested after testdrive that code had returned also.... : (

The last thing is that it idles nice at about 800rpm ( with slight surge, i assume from cam ) when i start it, but when i take off and then take my foot off the go pedal it only returns to about 1100rpm, which still trys to push the car slightly even when braking...... it will return to the 800rpm mark if given time ( approx 500-750 meters i would say ) but not straight away like it should......

Also ebxr8240 when you say elongate the hole, do you mean the screw holes??? and where should i be testing for the reading of .95volts (backprobe the tps plug ??? )

Thanx for the help so far.... : )
Kwigibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech