Battery Dramas! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 17:46   #1 (permalink)
2.77 is a tall ratio :S

Battery Dramas!

Hi

About 3 weeks ago I was driving in my car when the sterio turned itself of and the dash lights became very dim. The indicator flicked on really slow and when I pressed the brakes they would barley flash at all.

I went to start it again and all I got was a tick tick tick of the starter motor. I managed to get a jump start from my mate.

So I went and picked up a brand new Exide Evolution battery and put it in the car. No dramas for a while until last night after only having the battery in there for two weeks the same thing happened!

What is causing this to happen? I went out this morning and she started up twice. This is a brand new battery and it shouldnt be happening.

1989 EA Fairmont Ghia 3 speed -cd player, xh snorkle, king springs, KYB shocks, tranny cooler, thermo fans, ef radiator

ATPS Member
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2004, 18:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Battery Dramas!

Ok thats easy one. get hold of a multimeter and measure the voltage of the battery when your car is runnign the batterys voltage should be between 13 - 14 volts or a little higher than that. if its below 13 and the voltage is jumping up and down than u have a stuffed alternator. also if the voltage is stable and between 13 - 14 when the cars running than u should check the battery when the cars off..if the voltage is like below 12 volts and is dropping off than i say the battery they sold you is a dud
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 18:22   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

lets not forget that the alt belt may be loose, but not loose enough to cause the light to come on, but loose enough to cause battery drain, and hence flatten it without any alarms going off, so the alternator may not be stuffed, but belt is loose, that happened to me :0)

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 21:28   #4 (permalink)
2.77 is a tall ratio :S

Thanks the the allways helpfull Dellboy, I went and checked the belt and it was very loose. So much so when I finally got the bloody nut undone (thanks to my intelligent mate) that was holding the alternator in place I had to push it to the other side to make the belt tight.

I hope this fixes the problem.

1989 EA Fairmont Ghia 3 speed -cd player, xh snorkle, king springs, KYB shocks, tranny cooler, thermo fans, ef radiator

ATPS Member
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:22   #5 (permalink)

As an aside, the clacky sound is the starter solenoid - a dead giveaway that the battery doesn't have sufficient juice to pull the solenoid in.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:57   #6 (permalink)
Torque+Rwd+Corner=Fun

I know it isnt this but just to make shure check that the battery hasnt shorted or something is left on when when your car is off.... very frustrating... in my xd it was the boot light that stayed on and flattened my battery over a while for some reason, very embarising when u want to take ya mates to the beach and cant start it, but i took the light out any way, and now works fine but i disconnect the battery whenever it sits there for a while... i am just probably being paranoid but its worth while checking it out when something goes a miss with ya battery
Trendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:53   #7 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

It also sounds like the belt is rather old, esp if you had to move the alternator a fair bit to tighten it, is it in good condition?? You wouldnt want to be stranded because of an old belt...

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech