bendex advance, premium or metel kings? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2003, 06:08   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

bendex advance, premium or metel kings?

i know this has probably been covered but i need good pads for my efi6, any advice ? im not too worried about the life of them ( within reason ) . also what other brands are good and where do i get them? thanx ppls
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2003, 13:11   #2 (permalink)

I personally use Metal King Plus. Very good, no fade, and no dust problems. People say they are hard on rotors, but I have had no problems in over 200K.
Old 03-16-2003, 13:56   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Do a search and you should be able to find everything you need to know.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 14:11   #4 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Metal Kings are great but after 8months my rotors were buggered.
If you want to run premium break pads get premium DBA discs to go with it.
Greenstuff pads are awesome but very costly.
Old 03-16-2003, 14:27   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

I use advance - they're good at pulling the car up and not too dusty. I'm also running slotted rotors. (AU1 XR6)

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 15:59   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Metal kings are ok.But what happened to me on my old X.D chaser. I realy gave em a hard time after that or next time I drove it they warn't performing quite the same. Then after a few months I decided to have a look. I found 2 or 3 grooves cut in around the rotors. When I pulled the pads out I found I must have melted the steel content in the pad and they went into steel malton balls which caused the grooves in rotor.
But I must say it was "not" normal driving, they stoped me and still worked after.No point in having pads that don't wear rotor, in most cases they won't hold up when you need them..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 17:24   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

thanx guys, i might try the mk's as my rotors are nearing retirement anyways so what better time to try them. thanks again ( god i love these forums )
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 19:09   #8 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Hmm . . . Not sure if any else had this ( I actually think there might be a warning on the dba/ bendix site about it ),

But I found that while using Slotted and x-drilled on the el xr8, metal kings i couldn't convince to actually stop the car ( i know they require a bit of warming, but I was driving for like 2 kays with the brakes on, and they still wounldn't stop it . . was like trying to use brakes w/o power assistance.

I also had some ultimates, which warped the rotors in about 1 week of normal driving :(

Finally have settled on premiums, which stop well, and haven't caused any other problems. . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 20:29   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by XR8 Lamah
But I found that while using Slotted and x-drilled on the el xr8, metal kings i couldn't convince to actually stop the car ( i know they require a bit of warming, but I was driving for like 2 kays with the brakes on, and they still wounldn't stop it . . was like trying to use brakes w/o power assistance.
Funny that. I fitted brand new DBA Slotted rotors and Metal King Plus and the brakes were awful. Pressed as hard as possible on the brake pedal at high speed and couldn't lock up the brakes. Then, towing a heavy trailer two stops and we're into fade!

Spoke to my brake supplier and he said to take a set of Ultimates and give him the Metal Kings. He's gonna chase Bendix for me and see if I can get my money back.

From now on I stick to what I know works - Bendix Ultimate. New rotors? SO what. Brake dust? So what! At least it stops now!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 20:35   #10 (permalink)

I use bendix premiums, they seem to be holding up pretty well, i have no problems with them and I have been using that brand for at least 5 years.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech