Best Bang for Bucks?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2001, 14:42   #1 (permalink)
Anbo

Best Bang for Bucks??

Hi Guys,

I have owned an EFII XR8 for a couple of years now. She it totally stock except for high flow mufflers which I had put on a couple of weeks ago. This made quite a bit of difference to my low down torque so I now have the urge to see what others gains are possible for little bucks - I have a couple of ankle biters that keep asking for food :-)

Any suggestions??

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2001, 22:46   #2 (permalink)
paul

$$$ extractors,K&N air filter
Old 10-18-2001, 10:11   #3 (permalink)
Anbo

Paul,

Would you recommend a panel or pod style filter?
Old 10-18-2001, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
PXR

Get yourself a KINGDRAGON panel filter.Their as good as k&n if not Better, CHEAPER than K&n About $90.The kingdragon is a synthetic Not cotton as in K&N & in the cleaning instructions can be dried with a hair drier or similar where the K&N specifically warns against this.
In my logic an engine bay is a hot area so I took the kingdragon & the saving.The other advantages of the panel is the engine bay remains stock and totally legal.If more air is required cold air can be ducted.The best thing is that it pays for itself in a couple of services.The K&N Cleaning Kit can be used. Abt $25 for heaps of re-oiling & the Kingdragon Element has a huge warrantee 500000kms or something. When I had one on My ef xr8 I got better power but also used less fuel.There was I minor change in note of the exhaust.Basically all good news and self funding.
PXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 18:39   #5 (permalink)
RAVEN

I currently have a EF II Fairmont (6 cylinder) with a 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust System, stock exhaust manifold and cat. By placing a K&N replacement filter into the airbox will I need to retune the chip to get the power increase(if any)? Or should I just simply disconnect the battery and let the computer learn itself?

I think it would be better to get extractors and a hi flow cat to get the full benefit. What extractors is everyone running?
Old 10-18-2001, 21:46   #6 (permalink)
Anbo

I thought it was only the AUs that have a learning chip - could be wrong.

As far as headers go, the three major brands are HM, Genie and Pacemaker. I know you can get the HM Headers with the Cat included but I'm not sure about the others. They are quite expensive if you want the stainless steel ones. My exhaust guy recons the HM Headers are the best but didn't seem to have any hard evidence to back himself up. From what I have read on other threads on this forum, you can't really go wrong with any of those brands I mentioned.

Andrew
Old 10-19-2001, 09:39   #7 (permalink)
slim

AU's have a re-programmable (flash) memory. This is for Ford Dealerships, if there is a problem/recall etc.. they can flash it with their special notebooks plugged in. All other ECU's eecIV and eecV both relearn as you drive. but to do serious modifcations you need a pulg in aftermarket chip or custom UNIchip or... you can buy what Kon has and learn to program yourself by plugging in adaughter board into the ecu and using a notebook(not for the faint hearted).
Old 10-19-2001, 09:43   #8 (permalink)
tickford_xr8

Hey Guys,
I have a EF2 XR8 Manual, Well i noticed a litle bit of difference when put the K&N filter in. The major difference in performance and sound was, Pacemaker extractors with fac cats ( they were cut out to bigger diameter) and twin 2 1/2 custom bent exhaust. The sound is awesome. It doesnt drone and doesnt sound to metallic. Like some stainless steel jobs do.I also cut the front of the airbox out and replaced the harmonic tube on the inlet (that kidney shaped thing) , with a nylon plug that i machined up. Its not a real fast car but i know there a few people in sydney with wip lash of the necks. Well i hope that helps. All up i spent about $1700.
Old 10-19-2001, 14:41   #9 (permalink)
paul

Up to E.L or cars with 55mm Air meter or m.a.f [the throttle body is 60mm]you can buy a Votech maf 73mm from the states for around $380 Oz plus postage.With these they use the original electronics from your old maf so there is no calibration probs..www.summitracing.com
I have had no trouble with delivery etc from them..
Old 10-19-2001, 15:01   #10 (permalink)
paul

What I'm trying to say is the maf is the restrictive part of the induction..So a 73mm maf is the go part # Vor-8A301-023 for 19 Lp injectors...Oh $125.90 U.S =$250.00 p/p... App...hth..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech