Best oil for NF Fairlane? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2003, 17:59   #1 (permalink)
Australian Member

Best oil for NF Fairlane?

Iam currently using Castrol Magnetec oil for my Nf Fairlane. What oil do you guys use or recommend for this vehicle or is this oil ok? I have noticed that the oil pressure gauge fluctuates when idling. I have heard this is quite a common problem. Any advice would be greatful. Thanks

Simon
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2003, 20:34   #2 (permalink)
EB wagon

I use Valvoline engine armour... about $25 for 5L. Good as anyother i reckon..

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 00:38   #3 (permalink)

What oil you use depends on the mileage of the motor. You didn't say whether it was a 6 or and 8. V8's can handle a thicker oil, say 20w-50, and don't waste your money on synthetic stuff.
Castol 15w-40 for winter, Pentrite 20w-60 for summer. 6's could probably take a thinner oil (OHC and all that stuff)

The most important point is to change it at 5-7,000k, no matter what. Synthetic oils are a con, because the additives still decompose after a certain time, so your detergents,viscosity improvers, etc, etc, still break down after time, so a cheaper oil changed more often is better for your engine and the ole hip pocket (or purse, if you are that way inclined)
Old 02-21-2003, 00:54   #4 (permalink)
Australian Member

re

Sorry Topghia Its a 6. I have done just over 110000Kms. I have just noticed recently that the oil pressure gauge goes down to about a quater when Iam idiling. As soon as i hit the gas it goes up to almost high.
shorsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:26   #5 (permalink)

Things are OK, when it drops to near zero time to investigate, but remember 110,000 is only 68,000 miles, and all good engines should get to 100,000 miles without major dramas.
Anyway that was the way it used to be.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech