Bit the bullet - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 21:43   #1 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Smile Bit the bullet

Well I bought a second hand engine off the wreckers today. It is complete except for the head, injection gear and exhaust manifold which I opted not to get because mine is all fine. All up it's costing me $300. Reason being, the car was burned out. I looked at the car and didn't like the idea of it at first, but the fire hadn't touched the motor, only the rear half really. So I thought what the hell. It has a 3 month warranty on it. My plan is to do the rings and bearings in it in my spare time, while I wait for my current engine to die then I'll just clean up my current head (maybe even some mods if I can afford it at the time) and put it in.

I was going to sell it, but then realised how much I love it and it does have all those little extra creature comforts being a ghia.

I am going to need a lot of advice on how to do this! I think I am capable and I really want to have a go at it as it'd be a GREAT learning experience and will same me some money. So where should I start? If anyone has any write ups on rebuilds and the likes please email them to me at d_clinton@bigpond.com.au. I do have a haynes manual, but I would like a bit more to work with than that. Thanks in advance guys!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2002, 01:07   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Change of plans. The wrecker pulled the motor out and said it wasn't up to his standard and would find me a better one. He has a complete 3.9L that he is going to give me for the same price :) He said he'll give me the head as well because of the inconvenience, as he was going to deliver it this afternoon, but now it won't be till tomorrow morning, even though I didn't plan on putting it in straight away. It's out of a CFI 89 EA with 196,000k's on it. The car it's coming out of is still registered, but it was repossesed due to a loan default. So for $300 I've got myself a (hopefully) good motor. Now I'm just going to put it straight in and do the other one up and get a new cam, head work etc etc :) I think I've found a REALLY good deal!!

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

Old 12-13-2002, 07:50   #3 (permalink)

Good onya, for $300 you can't go wrong.

Quote:
I am going to need a lot of advice on how to do this!
What I did when I was younger was find a small local garage with an owner who liked his cars. These blokes a really helpful if you find the right one. Usually a one-man show in a backstreet is the best.
Old 12-13-2002, 13:00   #4 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Well I have a mate that owns a 1970 XY GS who is an apprentice panel beater, he was jumping at the oportunity to help me. He's had his GS for about 6yrs and it has a worked 250 in it, that'll go just about any V8 you can throw at it!

Old 12-13-2002, 22:26   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

why swap engines then rebuild the original one then swap it back?

take the one off the wrecker, tear it down, get it bored to first oversize, get some nice lightweight pistons in there with new rings and bearings, then get the head shaved and ported and some stronger valvesprings and a big cam. get a EF-AU intake manifold and (if you dont want to chip the car to work it properly) lock the manifold in the long runner position if your car is an auto.

get an EB computer to run the engine and run it on BP ultimate or optimax, adjust the timing up to suit (on a dyno, to get the most benifit) and bobs your uncle. or at least, if he isnt, then you will make quite a few commodores your bitch.

the advantage you have is your car is still on the road, and you are working a separate engine, so you can take all the time you want to rebuild it and save up for different parts etc, and do it properly.

if you get the intake and sensors and computer etc from the same wrecker you got the engine from it shouldnt cost you too much to do, he seems like a good bloke and im sure if you explained what you are trying to achieve he might give you a discount on all the parts you need.

good luck, i hope you consider my advice!! (and have the patience to do it)

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 16:12   #6 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Well the thing is, my current engine is on its last legs and need the car. So I'm going to put the wrecked engine in it because it's still good then I can completely rebuild the old one. If I leave the current one in it, I don't know how long it'll last.

Old 12-15-2002, 17:35   #7 (permalink)

i'm in a similar engine situation. i'm not sure whether i should get a rebuilt EA engine or look for an ED engine from the wreckers. i dunno whether the ED engine can go in without redoing the whole wiring loom. what's the story there? i have an EA MPI with T5.

i personally think you should concentrate on getting the engine running nicely rather than trying to get a lot more power out of it. if you have the CPI, convert to MPI. then if u have an auto, go a manual - unless you prefer an auto of course. if u have the 4sp auto, go for higher diff ratio.

all these engine mods sound great for people that have knowledge and experience in this stuff, but for people like myself engine internals are a 'no go' zone.
phreeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I have a 4spd MPFI with a 3.23 diff ratio. My plan is to get the motor going well (like new) but do some performance mods while the motor is out. The motor from the wreckers is only to get me round while I do the other motor. Then when I'm finished, I'll have another motor, sitting round for spare parts.

Old 12-15-2002, 21:56   #9 (permalink)
donuts2001

Hey EAII_Fairmont, if it's just your rings that are stuffed I wouldn't worry about your motor "blowing up". I doubt that will happen your motors still got another good 20 000km life in it yet, just it won't perform up to scratch.

I'd do what the other guy said and just do the work on the motor you bought from the wreckers. The piston rings on the wreckers motor might still be good, which means you won't even need to touch the bottom end though it might still be a good idea to change them if your doing a full engine rebuild just in case.

Does the wrecker know the condition of the head of the motor? These very often have cracks on the EA's because of the alloyheads, so make sure you check the head for cracks and get the head reconditioned... that will cost you about $200 at a engine rebuilder place. I had mine reco-ed and it did wonders for the compression because my valves were leaking slightly with the build up of carbon.

Just start work on the motor now from the wreckers, and you'll have a perfectly running motor in about 3 weeks time which yo can drop straight in. Oh yeah and don't forget to change your timing chain tensioners while it's out! They break on the EA motors after a while, and when you renew them it makes your motor about 4 times quieter. Good luck
Old 12-16-2002, 16:57   #10 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

The car is just about dead now. I've parked it in the garage and its gunna stay there till I put the other engine in. It's so gutless now it's dangerous to drive. It's alright once I get up to speed but taking off it struggles and surges and carries on stupid. So the poor falc has been put out of it's misery until such times as I can put the other motor in. I need a car so that's why I'm putting the other motor in ASAP then doing the dead one up. Unfortunately I'm back to driving mum's 4 banger excel (NON-RICED!!). lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech