black box?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2002, 21:31   #1 (permalink)

black box??

Does anyone know what the purpose of the black box in the XF's is used for? Its mounted underneath the waterbottles on the pasengers side of the car. The reason i ask is cause one of my hoses that plug in there has snapped of, and was wondering if i could just leave it.

Also, i have lately been getting alot more km's out of a tank of petrol. I use to get 280-300 but now im getting 400(completely dry tank!!) and my driving pattern hasn't changed at all. Would this have anything to do with it?
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2002, 00:00   #2 (permalink)

Its the carbon cannister. it stores the vapors from the fuel tank and carby bowl until you start the engine at which time they are consumed back into the motor,before then they were vented into the atmosphere.

Dont think it would make a great diffrence to fuel consumption
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 00:03   #3 (permalink)

So should i worry about this hose that has snapped off? I think i'll have to get a new box if i was to put it back on. It has PURGE written on the box where the hose went to
Old 08-13-2002, 00:23   #4 (permalink)

i would just block off the hose and leave the spot where it snapped off open should be ok. new ones are about $75.00
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech