black smoke and hard starting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2002, 17:14   #1 (permalink)
RedEAGhia

black smoke and hard starting

i have a 3.9 mpfi. when i start the car in the morning it fires first turn of the key. when i start it after it has been sitting in the sun all day i have to hold the key for 5-7 seconds before it fires

when the car starts a cloud of black smoke (petrol) appears for 5- 10 seconds before it dissapears. it dosent blow much when i accelerate but when i let off a cloud of smoke reappears

the plugs are clean and i replaced a stuffed oxygen sensor and cleared the computer, a few days after and the computer still hasnt reported any codes. also i have replaced the leads, dizzy cap, rotor button, air and fuel filters

it was put on a 4 gas analyzer and no problems were detected their only suggestion was that fuel may be leaking through the injectors an night causing hard starting in the morning ( only problem with that is it starts best in the morning)

i am running out of ideas and the only thing i can think of is that the injectors are old and staying open too long
causing it to run rich. the map sensor is apparently fine

if anybody has any ideas or seen this before plases help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2002, 18:00   #2 (permalink)
jsantas

black smoke etc etc

Been There done all that. Still i havent solved my problem. GRRRR. I have gone as far as doing the following. Idle sensor. Temp Sensor, Tried a map sensor, Dissy cap, Leads, Rotor button. Thermostat. Better still see below my original post. Let us know once you have solved it. No problematic codes either. See below this was my original post. Must be a common problem because i have seen similiar posts like yours and mine.

Need to Pick peoples brains with this one. Here is the story. Spent lots of dollars on my ea. Probably wasted. But here goes anyway. Head was replaced recoed, Injectors, oxygen sensor, Fuel pump, Temp Sensor, New Leads, Plugs, Distributor Cap, Rotor and idle speed solenoid.
On Startup every morning the damn thing blows black smoke. Not Blue just black. Obviously running to rich. Once the smoke clears after apx 10 seconds idle increases. Coool. But the damn engine has an inconsistent miss during idle. Its a pain. Car is dual fuel. Miss still occurs on Gas as well. Car makes good power so i dont think its down on compression etc. Any advice is welcome. Can't afford to spend too much Dollars on this old beast. Its cost a small fortune as it is. No codes on the computer according to my mechanics diagnostic machine. Got us both stumpted. HELP.

Best Regards
Old 03-24-2002, 10:41   #3 (permalink)
jsantas

Black Smoke etc etc.

After all the previous changes see last post tried another ecu from another ea. Have been running it for the last day and a half. Black smoke all gone now. Engine runs smoother idles correctly but still has an inconsistent miss revs out a lot smoother as well. Looks like distributor shaft bushes are worn. This will be fixed Monday so the car should purr once again. Nearly sorted now. So their you go. I think the trick with these old beasts is you need to have a lot of patients due to their age.If all else fails replace everything lol.

Sorry about the double post on this but i am sure other individuals have had similar problems as well or may run into the same problems.
Old 03-24-2002, 15:11   #4 (permalink)
RedEAGhia

black smoke

i took it to a efi specilist and they looked at it and said my map sensor was stuffed they changed it and said its all fixed now, problem is it still does exactly the same as before. i think il change the computer

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech