Ford Forums banner

Black soot in exhaust - carbon clean?

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  YOOT 
#1 ·
I noticed my fairmont puffs a tiny (almost invisible) cloud of black smoke (soot?) out of the exhaust on start up. Is this just a sign that I should get a full carbon clean in the engine, like the injectors etc...?

My engine has only done 115,000kms and service in the last 1000kms. I also have a batch of Optimax in the tank too. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

#2 ·
Mine did that with a batch of optimax, ran real rough for the first 10-15secs when dead cold with black smoke out the exhaust. Filled up with a different brand and it went away! :wnc:

#5 ·
94ED_Fairmont said:
You recon just stick to regular unleaded? Or change the premium brand?
I always run premium as I get better economy with it, Optimax may not be causing it at all but it would be worth a try to see if it still does it with another brand.

#7 ·
ok - so I can:

a) Check the ECU for errors(how?)
b) Have the ECU reprogrammed to take optimax or do I get a unichip etc...?

How much am I looking at for these options, also are any of these covered by warranty if faulty. I have 12 months on most things.

#11 ·
From what mechanics tell to tune pre EF falcons for 98 Ron fuel, the base timing needs to be advanced. Apparently it's very noticable after the timing is advanced and running on 98 fuel. Just remember to keep running it with 98 fuel afterwards though.

#12 ·
so you reckon that the soot is just the engine running rich or because the detonation is a little off because of the 98 ron fuel?

I'll just stick me regular (92 ron??) back into the tank me thinks untill i can afford an exhaust cam and chip tuned for 98.

#13 ·
optimax

First up - forget 'carbon cleaning' its is a wallet lightener as my mate at eagers tells me, does absolutely nothing except releive your wallet of $80. Secondly, try another brand of premium, I've never really been a fan of optimax - overpriced, and its the only premium fuel I've heard of that gives people little problems like yours. I run my fairmont on any type of premium I can get my hands on - lets face it, 98 ron fuel is 98 ron fuel, I don't think I need a new chip or anything, maybe in your case check that everything to do with igniting your fuel is working well (spark plugs, leads, dizzy etc) fuel with more energy has more to burn than regular

#14 ·
I changed back to regular and the soot is gone. Its runs fine with out it. My performance mechanic says it won't do anything to make the car run better. Unless you get it tuned to run on that type of fuel.

Something about the timing and detonation. The car will automatically adjust but not as well as having it specifically tuned.

I don't get anymore kms out of a tank with it either, I get 530km on regular and if anything I get less on optimax. About 430 a tank.

So its seems cheaper and I get more kms out of regular. Go figure.

#17 ·
I've heard that some cars go better than others. Probably depends on how old it is etc. The AUII is obviously more advanced than my ED.

But who knows. i mean really. No one has ever given a staight answer.

The closest i have come to seeing an honest answer was when an article in "Technically Torquing" fom MOTOR explained exactly why higher octane fuel makes absolutely no difference to an engine not designed to run on it.

My mum has a SSS and it needs high octane fuel, it runs like crap without it. Whereas I have a ED fairmont and it runs no different with high octane or ULP if not worse.

#18 ·
The other day, I filled up with a tank of regular unleaded. NEVER AGAIN!!! I've always run my car on optimax, and the people who owned it for 4 years before me did also. With optimax, it seems so much happier to rev, has a much nicer exhaust note and a noticable power increase! The regular ULP seemed to rev harshly and didn't produce as much power. And it gave my exhaust a rather unpleasant 'barking' note.

Granted, however, that my car is far from stock, but i was really surprised by the difference it made!

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.