Ford Forums banner

BMC vs K&N

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  One Ford Drone 
#1 ·
G'day,

Ive just picked up my K&N filter for my local dyno shop. It set me back $124.00. Which isnt to much considering i just paid $44k for a new XR8 Ute.

Just been looking around the forum & come accross a few people giving the BMC air filters a wrap. Ive honestly never heard of BMC as a brand before, so i dont have a clue about them.

Just wondering if someone can fill me in. Such as the comparision with the K&N. e.g. price, air-flow etc etc...

Cheers :wnc:

Memphis.

ps. I havent installed the K&N yet, im waiting to see if it is worth a trade for a BMC. Im also looking at the SS Induction kit within the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I like the K&N and even when they are clogged they are barely better than the standard filter. I heard good things about BMC afaik some teams use BMC in F1

#3 · (Edited)
You are better off with the standard OEM paper filter if you want your engine to last. These other filters might flow a little bit better, but they also let more filth into your engine.

From Ford Muscle:

Remember, a filter serves two purposes, to filter out particulates and to let in air. When it comes to filtering efficiency, or the amount of dirt stopped by the filter, paper is in the 98-99% range when new, cotton gauze (K&N) will best around 96%.
cheers

Jeez Casper, your on the ball. I hadn't finished composing this opus.

#4 · (Edited)
TopGhia said:
You are better off with the standard OEM paper filter if you want your engine to last. These other filters might flow a little bit better, but they also let more filth into your engine.

cheers
That is absolute rubbish. In fact both K&N and BMC have been proven to be more effective at stopping smaller particles than paper filters.

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm

#6 ·
:rofl:

Heh . . . in another thread somewhere else (I think maybe e-series) Soxx reckons we don't need air-filters at all (!)

I think that even if we assume the worst (that k&n does 96% vs 99% of a paper), the quantity and size of the particles are going to be pretty inconsequential in terms of engine life - especially when you consider the crap already potentially floating round in there (metal odds and sods from wear).

But likewise to memphis, I have seen some people commending BMC, but until recently have never heard of them . . . :shrug: Anyone ?

#7 ·
BMC started making air filters after the Ferrari F1 team approched them. From there they started making filters for Cars and Bikes as well.

Personally, after asking around there seems to be little difference between K&N or BMC, so get which ever one is cheapest I guess.
I think I'll get BMC, just to be different :s6:

#8 ·
BMC are an Italian company, and their air filters are fitted to Ferrari race cars, so they can't be all that bad.

Mind you, race engines never do 100,000ks before a pull down either.

cheers

#9 ·
race cars change airfilters and oil after every race :)

these BMC are they washable? do one still need's to oil them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.