bonnet vents/scoops - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 06:37   #1 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

bonnet vents/scoops

I have never really looked into this and was hoping someone could just sheed a bit of light...

When you fit bonnet vents or a bonnet scoop how do you go stopping water, dirt, bugs and any other garbage getting into your engine bay?? or is it just a fact of life??!
I dont really like the idea of the fake ones...

cheers

steve
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2002, 07:08   #2 (permalink)
goooone

your under bonnet isn't sheilded from the front or underneath is it. It doesn't really make much of a difference
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 07:20   #3 (permalink)

There is a way to keep all the crap out of the engine bay. Have seen a few bonnet scoops where you can slide a piece of plastic to cover the hole(s) in the bonnet from underneath. I have seen it on the XR models as well.

I was going to fit the EL GT Scoop onto my EF Fairmont. Rang my local Ford Spare parts and they had the scoop and all but not the platic slide that goes underneath. They said I had to get one made up cos they don't make them anymore. Now I am trying to get someone do the job. Know anyone?
PEGASUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 07:47   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by PEGASUS
There is a way to keep all the crap out of the engine bay. Have seen a few bonnet scoops where you can slide a piece of plastic to cover the hole(s) in the bonnet from underneath. I have seen it on the XR models as well.

I was going to fit the EL GT Scoop onto my EF Fairmont. Rang my local Ford Spare parts and they had the scoop and all but not the platic slide that goes underneath. They said I had to get one made up cos they don't make them anymore. Now I am trying to get someone do the job. Know anyone?
but hang on, wouldn't this plastic cover stop the airflow, making the scoop/vent useless?
Old 05-08-2002, 08:00   #5 (permalink)

I was under the impression that the plactic would only be installed when you were running on a wet weather day. It is easily removed. Think only held in by 4 screws. The first time I saw anything of its kind was on a EL XR8 when they were first released. The salespersion said they were easily removed and put back on depending on the weather I guess.
Old 05-08-2002, 17:09   #6 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

The EB GT scoops have a mesh grill under them, similar to a house security door. I have only found water getting in after a wash.
RAPID BA MKII GT WITH BLACK STRIPES
GT BLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 18:20   #7 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

You could always ask Stryder for engine bay cleaning tips!
Old 05-08-2002, 20:59   #8 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

PEGASUS:
the EL GT bonnet scope is available from SSV (in Sydney).. i too was also keen, though i decided not too as i only have a 6 Cyl.

here is the direct link
http://www.ssv.com.au/index.cfm?nav=...&categoryid2=2

I dont know about the plastic that slides underneath though.

ChuBBz
Old 05-09-2002, 03:08   #9 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

ok i dont think that worked...
but just go to www.ssv.com.au
choose exterior.....
and FORD --> EF/EL
and u'll see it

ChuBBz
Old 05-09-2002, 06:05   #10 (permalink)

Chubbz

Yeah I saw them on the SSV site too. But I guess they aren't original. Wondering if there is a difference. Are they just a mold of the original. My car is very similar to yours but in Navy Blue and with the 16" tickfords. I've seen a fairmont of the same year and make with the EL GT scoop on it and it looks great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech