Ford Forums banner

Bouncing temp guage, need advice.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mongrelEB 
#1 ·
Hello all. I drive an EA GL CFI auto, and have the fairly common problem of a bouncing temp guage. However, in the past couple of weeks, I've notice it's been a tad erratic in the way it happens.
Ordinarily, one the car has warmed up a bit, it rises slowly to about halfway, then drops quickly back down to almost outside "Normal"
It has recently, been jumping up quicker, with jerky movements, and has also bounced above half-way a couple of times.
I'm going to be replacing the coolant bottle in a couple of weeks, I need one with a sensor, and was going to get it down at Natrad and have them flush the cooling system at the same time, I don't know when it was last done.
My question is, should I replace the thermostat as well? And if yes, is a non-gen one ok or would I be better off with a Ford one?
And also, is Natrad a good place to go? They are just round the corner from work, so I thought yes.

#2 ·
Well I used a genuine one, it lasted about 7 weeks. I'm about to go replace it, I'll use genuine again but if that dies Ford can shove it.

#4 ·
I have to admit, I upgraded to an s-pac dash today and it doesn't seem anywhere near as erratic. I think I'll probably err on the safety side though, a thermostat can't be more than $20 and if the system is drained anyway...

#5 ·
Thermostat and O-ring is 28 bucks from Ford.

#6 ·
I've found it's worth using the Ford one, even though it's more expensive. Aftermarket ones tend to be a few degrees off. Normally this wouldn't bother a car, but it seems to bother these fuel injection systems quite a lot. After having issues with aftermarket thermostats in 3 separate cars, I have given up and now only use genuine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.