Box swapping... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 06:46   #1 (permalink)
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS

Box swapping...

okay, im taking my auto out of my ED and putting in a 5speed from an EA ..

Now, I've been told that the ECU will have problems, (cos the auto computer is built into the ECU) ..

Is there anyway around it, without changing the ECU from the auto one to the manual one?

and if I have to change the ECU, will it give me problems with smart lock?

If I don't change the ECU, what will happen?

Thanx ppls!

Antony.
au2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 16:50   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Re: Box swapping...

Depending on who you speak to, you will or won't have problems :)

As I understand it, you can tie the gear position sensor leads from the auto together, and it will think it is in neutral. I believe there are a few people around on the forums who are doing this without many problems (although some report odd idle and so on).

Personally, I just changed from an EL XR8 auto to manual. This is slightly different to you, since the EL 8's had a separate trans computer. In my case, the car ran fine, but the day after the change-over, the thermofans went crazy (100% on all the time). Swapping to a manual ecu fixed the problem.

Personally, I'd recommend sourcing an ED manual computer. This should alleviate any problems that you have, and should not present and problems with smartlock either. I wouldn't think that ED manual computers would be terribly rare or expensive . . .

Finally . . . 5 spd manual roxors ! :)
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 19:58   #3 (permalink)
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS

Okay, I'll try to start of buy putting the neutral wire's together, if not, I'll just see if I can get a ED manual ECU ... will this cause any problems with smartlock?

Oh, and Im going to be doing this in canberra next week, so anyone wanna help out? :)

antony.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:31   #4 (permalink)

it'd be a good idea to change the ecu, the auto has a different timing curve and your engine could potentially ping but the biggest problem is that an auto ecu shuts off the injectors on decel. with that you could have idling problems, stalling everytime u change gear etc.

bypassing the park/nuetral switch so it'll start is no biggie. in the same harness is the wiring for the reverse lights also.

the manuals also have an "in gear" switch which idles the engine up when u stick it in gear to prevent lamers stalling on take-off. if u wanna hook this up, it connects thru the same circuit as the power steering switch.

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:37   #5 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Lamah
Personally, I just changed from an EL XR8 auto to manual. This is slightly different to you, since the EL 8's had a separate trans computer. In my case, the car ran fine, but the day after the change-over, the thermofans went crazy (100% on all the time). Swapping to a manual ecu fixed the problem.
Hey Lamah,

I'm wondering, do you still have your auto computer? Was it speed limited?
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 15:46   #6 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

I still have it, but have no clue as to whether it was speed limited (never even been close) - although it is/was ex-pursuit
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 20:47   #7 (permalink)
a vile merchant

I have a bit of a problem in that changing to 3.73 diff gears means my normally 180 speed limiter now kicks in at 160. I've been told tho that the auto ECU you have would still be limited, altho that manual one you now have would not be. You lucky bugger :)
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:46   #8 (permalink)
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS

all done! just got the strange idle from time to time :) but yeah, heaps quicker as a manual ... the pedal box was a pain the bum, would of been the hardest part!
Old 03-12-2004, 17:15   #9 (permalink)
Cant All Fords Be 5Spd

how many hours did it take you to do it??? me and couple of mates are gonna try and do a swap over in 3 full days in a couple of weeks when I finally pay off a fine...
Bertis_EB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech