Ford Forums banner

Brand new ABS for $95 ...NOT

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  oz_orion 
#1 ·
Inspired by a discussion on Ford Forums, I asked a Ford dealer today if the retro-fit ABS kits that were apparently released along with the EB II Falcon were still available.

The guy comes back after checking the prices, and I was estimating about $1500. And he says I'm looking at... $95?? Obviously that doesn't include labour, but it seems so ridiculously cheap that I don't know whether to even believe it. I'll find out if it is a mistake tomorrow either way.

#5 ·
Re: BUY IT

It's no good.

By all means e-mail Ford, because you might get a different response to me. I went to collect the merchandise today and was handed a box labelled R12 -> R134a conversion - in other words $95 is what DIY people pay through Ford for air con conversion. Great. Even then it's aftermarket apparently.

So having been told that this doesn't exist, they said they would ring around and try to find an aftermarket source for ABS, but when I think about it, that's not a good idea. Firstly, ABS should be tailored to the car it is on, and secondly, it would be a rip-off. I'll be going ahead with my original plan to get ABS off a wrecked EB II (either buying the whole car at an auction, or getting the required parts from a wrecker)... but not for a while.

#6 ·

If u do that, and sell the parts...I BAGS THE DASH!!!

Sundeep
--

#7 ·

hehe sorry mate.. a new dash is one of the other parts I could use. Besides, it would probably be a couple of years before I do this, realistically. Lots else to attend to.

#9 ·

Whats wrong with it, nothing really besides the fact it's too damn easy to lock the brakes when u wanna stop in a hurry. I've had this problem several times...

Ed

#11 ·

Problem wasn't speeding. Slippery roads and misjudging braking distance, inexperience is probably the main reason, I will say tho that EA brakes are on a different planet to that found on a VL, those brakes are ****ing dangerous! ya foot literally goes to the floor before they work.

Ed

G
#12 ·

Hey Ed, I dont seem to have much problem with my brakes in the wet either, i reckon those wagons have x-cellent brakes for such a big car... I love driving my car in the wet now.. i take it down to my local industrial estate (very wide roads) and spin her out, the ass slides well :p The ABS option doesnt really appeal to me much, unless you could turn them off when ya wanted too!! :)

Brent

G
#13 ·
ABS

On of the main advantages of ABS is that you can steer and brake hard at the same time. An experienced driver can brake to avoid lock up by modulating the pedal in a straight line, but its next to impossible while turning. So with ABS you can steer around the kid who has just run onto the road AND hit the brakes hard at the same time.

#14 ·
Re: ABS

I have to admit that the brakes are one of the features on my EA that I really hate. I was driving at 50k's the other day in light rain, and I had to brake to avoid entering a red light intersection after the bus in front of me quickly changed lanes. I used a lot of brake and a little clutch and the wheels just locked, the car didn't even slow down on the wet surface, I just slipped in to the intersecton at 50k's. Without any other real choice, I just let go of the brakes and accelerated out of the intersection before any other cars came through.

Compared to my old XE, it's pretty bad. Most people that drove my XE commented on how good the brakes were, you could stop it quickly from almost any speed in most conditions. The only time I ever lost traction was while braking down hill in the rain while speeding... unfortunately the cops saw it and did me for $360 for reckless driving. This could be more tyre related though.

When I got my EA, it had its original stock tyres on it (that's right - 13 year old tyres). So far two have been temporarily replaced with retreads until I can afford a full set of new tyres and wheels, but currently, my traction and braking suck.

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.