Breaking down - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 01:08   #1 (permalink)
macca

Breaking down

hey guys, as of today ive got a bit of a problem with my EA.....its breaking down bad, its mainly when changing up to 3rd and 4th when you accelorate slighty it breakds down (coughs and splatters) slightly. When you accelorate harshly it breaks down harshly until it sort of gets itslef back on track. Also today it was doing it in 5th also on the highway. Its been happening about once a week for the last 6-8 weeksa and today its really bad???
The clutch is almost ran its race, hardly any travel, has been slipping a little bit at times....would it be the clutch that is making this problem??
This is my first manual vehicle and the clutch is bound to go soon!! What are the symptoms when they go??
Any suggestions or answers would be a great help!!
Cheers guys
SlAmMeD_fAlCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 02:08   #2 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Re: Breaking down

When the clutch is buggered (well and truley), the pedal will sit about 2" above the brake pedal, and if you put down any sort of power, it'll just start slipping. I had a problem a while back, my car would miss heavily after about 3g, and idle very rough. Turned out to be a dodgy lead. If your car is running shoddy, its either fuel or spark. So check your fuel pump, filter etc, get a new set of leads, plugs, dizzy and coil, that should cover all the bases.

Donno

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
macca

Is there any way to check leads...replace them?? Also waht fueling issues should i check???
Old 06-07-2004, 04:41   #4 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

A new lead will go on with a "click", and takes some effort to get back off. Once they get along they tend not to "click" on, just push on, if you catch my drift. With fuel make sure your getting the correct pressure, or your not getting a heap of gunge or water through your system. To check the fuel pressure you'll have to go to a mechanic for the pressure gauge, but I doubt that would be the problem. To check for impurities like water and gunge in the fuel, unhook the fuel line at the engine and siphon (should just run in) a bit into a magerine container. If there's any gunge you'll see it floating in the container, or if there's water in it or some other fuel (like diesel) you'll be able to see that the fluids are separated. If you get water in the tank, most likely you'll have to siphon all the fuel out of the tank and change servo. Gunge can be a few things. Dirty fuel, yet again change servo, or if its black it could be a deteriating fuel hose. Check it for any splits/cracks or just general weathering.

Water and gunge in the fuel system will make it run pretty rough, but constant missing is more likely a spark problem, wouldn't harm to check both none the less.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Proud TQE Operator
Old 06-07-2004, 04:46   #5 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Oh sorry, and to replace the leads just follow where they go. They connect to the dizzy, which is located under the intake manifold. Its an easy job and needs no mechanical experience pretty much, but is a bit fiddly. You can pick up leads form supercheap, auto pro, wherever. Just not from the dealer, they'll charge you $30 more then their worth. Just ask the person at the counter for a set of leads to suit an EA mpfi 6 cylinder falcon, they'll point you in the right direction.

Proud TQE Operator
Old 06-07-2004, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
macca

cheers donno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech