Ford Forums banner

Broken bonnet release (Cant open bonnet!)

14K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  mingram 
G
#1 ·
Hello all.
I am the proud owner of a 1988 EA falcon GL.. In London, UK. Im sure they arnt may of these beasts in the UK. Anyway, after changing the oil & filter I closed the bonnet, never to open again! The cable had broken somewhere and I cant see anything from under the car to push with my long handled screw driver to get it open again. HELP.. I have some new leads and dizzy cap to fit and need to open the bonnet. Can anyone let me know how I can do this, preferable without hacking a hole in the bonnet! A scetch would be nice or a labeled photo. If required I can post a url with a photo for someone to edit etc..

#4 ·
Re: Cable

OK, I just had a look and it seems like an easy one.
The way I would do it would be like this.

Firstly, remove the front bumper bar. There are 6 bolts holding this into position. Once there undone, slide it out, being carefull not to drop it.

You will then be able to acess the release cable. You should see it running from just to the right of the the left headlight (Looking at the car from the front) going to the locking device. Cut the cable, strip the plastic/metal surroundings and pull on the wire cable inside it. This should open it.

Good Luck.

G
#6 ·
cable

I can get to the cable from under the car, its a bit hard, Im hoping its not broken at the release catch, because if it is its cutting the cable wont work. Ill try that though.. Good idea to pull off as much as possible.

And yeah its pretty big. Some large merc's and 7 series around.. Plus a few american tanks, impala's etc. 99% are fiesta's and polo's though.

Any more idea's guys. Cutting the cable will be a mission..

G
#9 ·
Re: Cable.. picture anyone?

OK, I had this prob a while back - it snapped off right at the lead ball on the end! Eventually, I managed to get a long screwdriver and there is a little latch thing at the bottom, which you can reach from underneat - looking at the car from the front, it's on the left (drivers) side. you need to get the screwdriver into the hole on that side at the bottom and push across the bar. you'll need a torch though to be able to see it.

Simon

G
#10 ·
EA in the Uk.

You should, after removing the bumper be able to stick your hand up from underneath to manipulate the cable.

BUt on another note, could you get some pics of your Ea round the uk and post on the board?

David.

G
#11 ·
Cable.. the deal..

Ok here is the deal.. Ive got the bumper off and the cable is cut and stripped. Still wont open, I think something is bust bad.
Anyway, can someone please post a closeup pic of the release mechanism. If you guys help me open the mutha Ill make a special trip to Wembley Stadium and take a nice high res pic of the Falcon in front of it and post it up here..

Any takers..?

G
#13 ·
Bonnet, finally

Well ok thanks to sgreat.. and a bit of light on the matter and the bumper removed all is now well.

Yes it is there on the drivers side piece of the latch to push down, or pull down, almost impossible without bumper off, but if you know where it is not too bad.

Thanks guys, Ill see if I can do a pic with wembley's twin towers in it. Perhaps something else as well.

Rich

G
#15 ·
Bonnet, finally

I dont get parts here really..
They sell oil filters for £10 same as mustang and explorer.
But my freind and I are from NZ so last time I went I got some parts and he got me some the last time.
Plus Im working out what bushes I need and will order them from whiteline.com.au

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.