Buying Cruise Control from Wreckers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2002, 16:49   #1 (permalink)

Question Buying Cruise Control from Wreckers

A question for anyone who has fitted a cruise control to a EF sedan.What parts do I need to buy from a wrecker to install in the old girl?
Thanks
Station-rat
station-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2002, 17:12   #2 (permalink)

I looked into this a while back for the EB and decided (wisely) against it. For EB (don't know about EF) there are 2 different ones. One is fitted in the factory when the car is new and the other is a retro fit (still a Ford part). I don't know what is different though, I decided it was going to be a nightmare and decided not to go ahead with it.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 23:33   #3 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Re: Buying Cruise Control from Wreckers

Quote:
Originally posted by station-rat
A question for anyone who has fitted a cruise control to a EF sedan.What parts do I need to buy from a wrecker to install in the old girl?
Thanks
Station-rat
Done it a few weeks back rat, dead easy. I posted a complete list of parts and the detailed steps needed to do the job here in the garage, should be able to do a search on EF Cruise Control.

Basically -

CC module + 3 mounting nuts + cable with mounting clip/bolt (keep it all attached) -

sits under ledge near brake master cylinder - bugger to get in, drop the main body under the ledge, but not the bracket initially (you'll know what I mean when you see it), then rotate so the bracket goes under too, then bolt up - swearing helps :)

You will need to remove the cable connector first which is attached to the underside of that ledge, then remove the blanking plug. once modules in place plug it in.

Run cable over rocker cover, end clips onto throttle actuator. Spare hole in top of rocker needs to be tapped, just use bolt, then bolt cable clip on.

Brake sensor switch on end of brake master cylinder -

remove blanking nut on your car, screw in sensor
bleed rear brake circuit, plug the harness in, connector is hanging around the M/C area.

Steering wheel switches, 4 screws and wiring, get all of the wiring inside the steering wheel from the donor car, this includes all the horn wiring, optionally, get the steering wheel backing shell, this has the required cutouts for the switches -

Disconnect battery, leave for at least 1 minute.

Remove airbag - 2 bolts under plastic grommets either side of steering boss.

Remove all wiring.

If you have the backing shell, remove steering wheel, uses a Torx size 50 from memory, steering wheel can be pulled of by hand if you keep at it, leave bolt with a few turns on to save swallowing the wheel when it comes off :)

swap the shells over, put switches/wiring in then bolt the wheel back on, plug wiring connector in, put airbag back on.

Note - If you don't have the shell or don't want to remove the wheel, you can cut the existing one, you will see the indentations as a guide - pretty easy.

NOW, almost there. Last bit depends on auto or manual.

Manual, you need a clutch switch, auto, a jumper plug.

Manual -
get under dash with clutch switch, locate switch on pedal box and screw in, it might require adjustment, easy done, then locate spare connector on RHS of steering column under the dash and plug the switch cable into it.

Auto -

locate cable on RHS of column, plug jumper connector in.

Hook up battery and test it.

Cost me $170 all up, took about an hour to do it.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 23:35   #4 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
I looked into this a while back for the EB and decided (wisely) against it. For EB (don't know about EF) there are 2 different ones. One is fitted in the factory when the car is new and the other is a retro fit (still a Ford part). I don't know what is different though, I decided it was going to be a nightmare and decided not to go ahead with it.
EB is different to EF, EB uses vacuum motor, EF is electronic.
Still, I would have had a bash at the EB, I have the workshop manual and it looks easy enough :)

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech