Ford Forums banner

Can anyone beat this record!

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mikenicko 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Well it's not much to boast about, but was wondering how many people have had trouble with their accelerator cable on AUII XR6. I had the original go at 2,500km, then the replacement went at about 5,000km, then the next replacement went at about 11,500km. I've now done just over 20,000km so counting the days until the next one goes.

So I guess my record is that by 11,500km I was on my fourth accelerator cable. Just wondering how many other people have had this problem, and can anyone beat four cables.

What bugs me is that my old Series I AU XR6 never had a problem with the cable and I had it nearly 40,000km. Ford try to tell you not to be so heavy footed on the accelerator, but last I checked I paid a shit load more money to get a Tickford badge on the side. Can't figure why I would have done that if I wanted to drive everywhere using the accelerator gently.

Oh by the way, the best short term fix is to carry some cable ties with you. Just get the grommet back in place as best you can then secure it around the mount with a cable tie or two. Works a charm.

Be interested to hear peoples replies.

Regards,

See less See more
#3 ·
I've done 30000 K's in mine and haven't had a problem. Definately no light foot either.

The car went in for a service on Monday and they did the throttle cable grommet recall. I didn't know about it until they told me.

#4 ·
damn...

I have only had 1 accelerator cable go ever!!

It was my EA S pack... with over 620k on the clock!! The cable completely frayed right near the engine. (while I was going around a round-a-bout)

My ED has over 190k on it (60k are mine) and so far - its been ok..

And I dont drive like a little old lady either.

#9 ·
What's going wrong with the cable!

Hi all,

Only seems to be a problem on the AUII series sixes. The cable is actually fine, what is happening is where the cable runs over the rocker cover it runs through a bracket which holds it in place using a rubber grommet. Without the cable being held in place at this bracket, it just floats backwards and forwards when you hit the accelerator peddle and thus doesn't allow the cable inside to pull the lever on the side of the throttle body. So car just loses all ability to accelerate and just goes back to idle. This has happened a couple of timnes in dangerous situations where I pull out to overtake and sudenly my foot goes to the floor and the car just dies in the arse. Really shits me.

The grommet is made from piss weak rubber and basically just breaks apart and pulls through the bracket. Yep, one lousy little grommet stops the whole car. I had an old bubble back Laser with a similar setup, but on that they were smart enough to put a metal washer inside the rubber to provide strength, and I guess they also didn't use shit rubber.

Seems the old cable tie trick arond the bracket and accelerator cable works better than the Ford grommet. So much for reliability on modern cars.

#11 ·
Re: Recall

Jimbo said:
Is your car covered by this recall?

http://www.ford.com.au/inside_ford/press/View_Press_Release.asp?file=foa009.htm

Hopefully a new grommet should fix it.

Jimbo
Hey Jimbo,

Yeah mine is covered by this recall, though I have never received a notice from Ford. First thing I know is the grommet goes. The first replacement was supposed to be the corrected one, but wasn't thus breaking within another 2,500km. The one after this was a replacement one. All Ford do is stick a plastic bit behind the grommet. The grommet is still made of crap (read really soft and about to fall apart) rubber and just breaks away, with the plastic bit making it last twice as long as it normally would. This corrected one only lasted 6,500km or so. I cruised around with a cable tie holding it for about 3,000km (I actually trusted the cable tie more than the grommet) before getting it fixed. I am coming up about 6,500km from when I had the second corrected grommet fitted, so I guess it should go any day soon.

I can't understand why they'd change it from AU Series I. My AU Series I cable lasted without a problem for nearly 40,000km. AS afr as I'm aware it's probably still going strong.

Thanks for the notice on the recall.

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.