Can someone explain this? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2002, 00:25   #1 (permalink)

Question Can someone explain this?

Lately I have been having a few troubles with my Auto 97 EL Gli....

Sometimes when I come out of a corner and go to accelerate, the car revs out as if in neutral and then kicks into gear REALLY hard, at times spinning the wheels or making a really really loud cracking noise, as if something broke!

Also, when I am travelling at speeds around 30-60km/h and I lightly put my foot down to accelerate, the car drops down to 1000RPM and vibrates/rumbles really hard and loud, as if it needs to change back a gear, but won't. I then have to put my foot down a little more for it to kick back and take off.

Does anyone know whats wrong?

thanks.

Brendan.
brendan_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2002, 01:02   #2 (permalink)

You auto transmission is sick. How's the fluid level? Does it have a burnt smell? What's the colour of the fluid?. If your levels are OK, you may need to take in for a service, it won't get better by itself.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:06   #3 (permalink)

I just remembered EL has no dipstick or fill tube. You will need to take it in for a check-up, sooner rather than later.

cheers
Old 10-22-2002, 01:12   #4 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

my AU2 has been doing the same thing, revving like in neutral then just dropping into gear, Im worried i will blow the trans or diff or something, but ford told me nothings wrong.... Yeah B/S
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:48   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by TopGhia
I just remembered EL has no dipstick or fill tube. You will need to take it in for a check-up, sooner rather than later.

cheers
I realised this too after a long time searching for one that doesn't exist!

brendan.
brendan_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:05   #6 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

Sounds like it's on the way out- sorry! Any shudders, vibrations or delays in these boxes are bad news. I just replaced mine, it was delaying going into and slipping/shuddering in reverse.

It could just be a faulty control solenoid or neutral/throttle position switch, but you are better off getting a rebuilt box. Warranty, no worries. Figure on 1600-2100 bucks though :(

Get it checked out- now!

Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 17:49   #7 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Fluid level needs checking. Then, there's a couple of solenoids on the side of the box that cost mega bucks to replace but will probably prove to be the cause.

See an expert pronto!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
SM

Same this happened to my old XG ute, shuddered, skipped and even had trouble finding first, a couple of flushes with new fluid didn't help much, full rebuild was too much for me considering the age of the ute, reco trans was too much considering the age of the ute, so I traded it that day on my AU II ute, the dealer neglected to even test drive it, needless to say it didn't last much longer.
Old 10-22-2002, 18:05   #9 (permalink)
THE VILLAGE LUNITIC

im in agreence with AP, i have an EB2 which kicks into second, i spoke to ford who ran a diognostics on the computer, nothign came up, got the auto serviced still there:S hmm solonoid $400 later:S so it has to be done sucks though

White NL Fairlane Ghia, 'TQE', Superlows, Limo Tint, Pacemaker Tuned length comp spec extractors and lukey exhaust system with 5L cat, ported/polished head to flow 330hp, custom grind AU BILLET cam, chiptorque HP4 reprogramable chip, Alpine MP3/DVD/CD headunit, 550W alpine V series AMP, 12' Alpine Sub, 18" Advanti Chrome Alloys.

191.3RWHP 15.301@92MPH willowbank raceway. ghay 3.08 single spinner:(
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

We owned a 1998 EL that has the same transmission as yours, known as a sealed unit the one without the dipstick.

Yes the scenario you mentioned happened in our car once quote"

Sometimes when I come out of a corner and go to accelerate, the car revs out as if in neutral and then kicks into gear REALLY hard, at times spinning the wheels or making a really really loud cracking noise, as if something broke!"

Seems at some certain conditions very rare though it happens, scared the crap out of me when it happened. I was driving at 90km/h and put the foot down to accelerate and it happened.

A mate who owns a September 1997 build EL happened to him as well.

Generally though i found the transmission to be very good.

A fluid drain and a transmission filter change would be a good idea to do especially if the car is more than 70k. We found the transmission was much nicer after the service.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech