Re: Can someone point me in the right direction
Well you probably have a lean condition in the carby.
Check all these. :)
Hesitation, stalling, stumbling, flatspot, or deadspot during acceleration: Backfiring or spitback up through carb.
1) Vacuum leak. 1) Check for vacuum leak & fix it.
2) Ignition timing retarded too far. 2) Reset timing.
3) Accelerator pump nozzle has dirt in it. 3) Clean out the nozzle tip.
4) Accelerator pump cup swollen up from contact with bad gas or chemicals. 4) Replace the pump cup.
5) Economizer jet too small or partly blocked. 5) Clean out economizer jet & check the size.
6) Choke pull-off open too far. 6) Adjust the pull-off tighter.
7) Secondary throttle plates not closing all the way. 7) Fix it.
8) Vacuum hoses hooked up wrong. 8) Connect up right. Be especially careful of the EGR & Dist. connections: sometimes the pipe locations are reversed
9) Idle jet partly blocked with dirt. 9) Clean out the jet & any other dirt that is in there.
10) Distributor timing not advancing properly. (worn breaker plate, worn shaft, pin hole in diaphram, crack in hose, etc.) 10) Check distributor and all related systems carefully. Replace defective parts.
Hesitation, deadspot or stalling that only seems to occur after the first mile of warmup. 1) Defective electric assist on choke 1) Replace it.
2) Defective accelerator pump (low output). 2) Replace it.
3) Float level setting very low. 3) Adjust to factory specs.
4) Bad ignition condenser. 4) Replace it.
5) Plugged heat crossever system in manifold. 5) Inspect and clean passages in the intake manifold and heads. Test heat riser valve, replace if defective.
6) Defective source of hot air up to the carburetor. 6) Check and replace as necessary: heat shroud duct, temperature sensor, vacuum door moter, manifold vacuum supply.
7) Defective thermal switch. 7) Check all thermal switches, especially those connected with the distributor, EGR, & vacuum motors in the air cleaner housing.
Thats most causes, your carby may need pulling down.
"I married Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always."