Caned by a VL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2002, 21:30   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

confused Caned by a VL

I was driving today in my stock Leaded XF 4spd manual and just for fun i'd thought i'd give it some at the lights. Not racing anyone only grandmas beside me.
Anyways i floored it got a little bit of wheelspin went to 40 in first quiked changed to second and i look in my mirror to see a VL wagon with an old lady driver catching up to me at an alarming rate. I revved out second and changed to third she caught up and flew past me without trouble. I was Mortified

We pulled up at the next set of lights and she had electronic injection written on her front quarter panel so i think this means its just a six.
Is their something wrong with my car. She didn't just creep past me, she flew past.
Is it worthwhile converting to EFI if i find a donor car. I'd need to swap cylinder heads over too wouldn't i for the injectors. What else could i do. Would converting be easy or too difficult. Can anyone give me a basic guide to the conversion.
Should i bother converting it or do something else?If so what should i do? I think my engine is pretty old the odometer doesnt work and it says around 325000. Im not sure if its leaded or unleaded but the Engine code says leaded but the previous owner ran it on unleaded. Would running it on leaded slow it down if it was unleaded?? It doesnt have a Cat. It may be a new reco engine. Im unsure of the history of the car but i did buy it for $700.

Thanks guys
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2002, 00:32   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

A stock VL will chop a stock XF anyday of the week. VLs are much lighter and have a more powerful engine. Onl way you will be able to beat a VL is if you turbocharge it, put 500kw to the ground, and run an 8sec qtr mile. Otherwise dont try and race any VL, especially if your in melbourne.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 00:45   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Or, you could do a 'Three Pedal Conversion', throw on a bigger carb with a bigger zorst system, and a higher set of gears in the diff, and a bigger cam.... and see ya later stock VL thats for sure.
Old 11-27-2002, 02:29   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Ok i don't know the situation exactly, but lets say you were taking of hard and since you were in 2nd i'm guessing your at around 60-70km/h and say that VL was doing like 100km/h+ then ofcourse she'll be able to real the distance in.

Best measure is to lineup side by side and when the lights go green then it's a real race.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:41   #5 (permalink)

Wink TURBO SYSTEM

MAYBE I CAN HELP YOU I OWN AN EA TURBO WHICH I HAVE FOR SALE WHICH WOULD SOON SORT OUT ANY PROBLEMS YOU HAVE DRAGGING OFF MOST IF NOT ANY VL ( DEPENDING ON ENGINE MODS) I ALSO CAN ASSIST YOU IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT $$$ TO PRODUCE A 4.1LTR TWIN TURBO SYSTEM FOR YOUR XF THAT WILL EAT WORKED NISSAN GTR
cheffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:06   #6 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Cheffry- I dont think I have that kind of cash and probably couldnt even afford the insurance to go with it. But it sounds sweet!

Here is the situation.
We were both stopped at the lights. Then as the lights turned green i stomped it and got a little bit of wheelspin, revved through first, changed to second then when i was in second doing about 50 km i looked behind me and the VL was catching at an extremely fast rate and beat my arse to the speed limit (80km) by about 3 car lengths.
I couldnt believe it.
Im still shocked and disappointed. It should beat me like that i wouldnt think. It doesnt feel that much slower than my ED which whooped VL's anytime anyplace as long as they were N/A.

My car is a manual.

Would putting leaded fuel in an unleaded car slow it down.
Should I change to EFI?
HELP!!!

Thanks
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:18   #7 (permalink)

Smile HELP AT HAND

HELLO THERE THE EA IS $4000.00 WITH R.W.C. AND 12MONTHS REGO ( CHEAP) BUT IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY CASH TO SPEND MY FRIEND THERE ISNT MUCH YOU CAN DO CHANGING YOUR FUEL ALTHOUGH MAY HELP A LITTLE NOT ENOUGH THAT YOU WILL NOTICE ANY POWER GAIN!!!!! AS FAR AS CONVERTING YOUR CARBY TO MULTIPOINT I HAVE DONE THE CONVERSION MYSELF AND I CAN HELP TO ADVISE ALL WORK NEEDED TO BE DONE

BUT AGAIN PROBABLY NOT ENOUGH TO EVEN BEAT A STOCK VL

OR COME CLOSE TO TURBO VL WHICH WAS MORE THAN LIKELY
THE REASON WHY YOU WERE BLOWN AWAY

CHEERS

CHEFFREY
cheffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:22   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

turn the caps lock off fella!!
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:27   #9 (permalink)

XF should be running on unleaded! Running leaded in it definently will not do the engine any favors....

If it was me and I didn't have much money to spend I'd start running Optimax fuel and put a good fuel system cleaner through the car, give it a good service and see what that does.
BundyBlackXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:08   #10 (permalink)

South, I would think a 4 or 5speed XF EFI would be about to beat a VL 5spd stock and in similar condition.

You only did 40 in first? You should be able to do 60 easy....Perhaps you wernt reving it as hard as you thought you were? Does it have a tacho?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech