Car refuses to start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2002, 03:48   #1 (permalink)
donuts2001

Car refuses to start

Hey Everyone, I've just finished my EA rebuild which included changing the old 3 speed auto to another 4 speed Auto from my parts car, changing the power steering rack, changing timing chain case, renewing timing chain dampners that were broken and getting the head reconditioned. Also changed gaskets on all the parts I've pulled off.

Anyways my problem is last week we put the engine back in the car, turned the key... and she started up beautifully... was idling low at between the 0-500RPM mark, but was purring fine with no vibrations or spluttering. Great I thought... just needs the ignition timing to be set and she'll run great.

I had a few more things to do under the car like hook the swaybar up and change the O-ring gasket on the water pump pipe, and haven't had the time until today to do it. We did all that and went to start it up today, and at first it spluttered and choked and spluttered... but it didn't start. Then I went back in the afternoon and checked that none of the spark plug leads had come lose... tried starting it again and now it's like it's not even trying to start, just keeps turning over without firing. One of the spark plug leads was dodgy, so I replaced that but it still refuses to start!

Between now and last week nothing on the motor has been changed. I've checked the compression to see if the head gasket was blown and the readings all come out fine.

How the heck could the motor start last week fine and now not start at all? It's just not logical...

Does anyone have any idea's on what might be the problem. I'm completely stumped on this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2002, 03:54   #2 (permalink)
Motorbike rider

Fuel, pump/line/filter
Old 09-25-2002, 04:11   #3 (permalink)
donuts2001

I took the fuel line off and it pissed out with fuel, so I don't think thats my problem as the fuel line is well pressurised.

What about TFI modules, does anyone know if they like to die for no reason? I haven't spilt any water or anything like that on it but my friend reackons his brother had a similar problem when the TFI module died on his car.

This is so frustrating to know my car is almost finished after 3 weeks of work, if only i could get it started!
Old 09-25-2002, 06:34   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

See here http://www.therangerstation.com/TFI_Diagnostic.html for checking TFI modules.
Old 09-25-2002, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
WeReAmEyE

Try the destributer. some times they go out with out warning.
FAT FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 00:06   #6 (permalink)
donuts2001

I've taken out one of the spark plugs, and turned the motor over and am getting spark so I don't think the distributor is the problem.

When I tried starting it today it was firing a little at the start and then stopped, which makes me think this is fuel injector related. Does anyone know anything about the fuelinjection system or wiring I should check? Is it possible for the car's computer to shutdown the injectors? Maybe I need to reset the computer againa nd she might run hunky dory then
Old 09-26-2002, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
CapDog

Just cause the fuel line sprays with fuel dont assume the pump is working......my car broke down the other day half way home, called up the RACV, the guy said it was the fuel pump no doubts, so i assumed he was correct i got it towed home and checked it myself, it pissed with fuel as soon as i dissconnected it. So i got another guy over.

Turns out it was the pump, its just that the coil had a loose connection, and was only getting very low pressure. I got it to the mechanic by stalling about 8 times, every time id get out and tap the line connecting the wires again.

$350 saw a new pump and a working car, double check the pump i say.

The reason i suggest this is that you said that it happened after it started, that is usually the reason of the disconnection, the knock of the start can seperate the wires.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 09-26-2002, 19:11   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Check your dizzy timing again.

It may be possible that the dizzy gear has slipped.
Put the engine at TDC (Compression), remove the cap and see if the rotor button is inline with the grove on the distributer housing. If not, align them, and try start it on TDC.

Good Luck.
Old 09-28-2002, 02:11   #9 (permalink)
donuts2001

I've checked the fuel pump flow today... and uhh... found the problem.

The fuel tank was completely empty, and the fuel gauge was being dodgy showing half a tank. So I've changed the fuel filter and added petrol to the tank(about 10Litres worth) and primed it up and the petrol was flowing again.

But the car still refuses to start!! Even with the problem rectified it's like the car wants to piss me off for forgetting to put petrol in. Is it possible I have stuffed the injectors or fuel pump by not having any petrol? And what about the fuel rail, does it need some type of special priming method?

Also what procedure can i use to test the injectors are working still, should i just pull the whole fuel rail off and try starting the car and see if they spray out with petrol?

This is very frustrating... I know if only I put petrol in earlier it would probably all be working!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech