Car revs and shudders when idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2003, 08:07   #1 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

Car revs and shudders when idle

Hi.

I've noticed when my car sits idle, after a while it will increases revs by itself for a few seconds then drop down, it only does it once or twice and thats it. And I noticed at some traffic lights today, the car shuddered for a brief second and then went back to "normal". "Normal" = a slight shudder.. enough to shake the gearknob slightly and feel a vibration throughout the cabin.

Any ideas? Get it serviced??

Cheers.

P.S. Its a 1997 EL XR6... Manual trans.. 83000kms.
dcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2003, 17:48   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Is it misfiring?
Check your vacuum hose to the MAP sensor.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:36   #3 (permalink)
EL XR6 - w00t

Nope, its not misfiring.

Should I still check my vacuum hose to the MAP sensor? How would i do this?

What does a MAP sensor do?
dcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:23   #4 (permalink)
Stoked Ford Owner!

It is either your Idle Air Bypass Valve not doing its job properly if its a violent shudder (ie: nearly stalling), or it is normal if its only a slight shudder. I think i know what you are talking about, and it happens occasionally in all 3 EL - AU I6s i drive.
Old 04-10-2003, 19:07   #5 (permalink)

My EL Ghia is in getting some warranty work done at the moment. Ive always complained about a slight shudder when the car is left idling for more than 20 secs. It will sit there nicely for a bit, give a decent shudder for a few secs, and then go back to normal, only because the engine is not being held down tightly.

The service guys found that both engine mounts have split, and they are replacing them. Told this is not a huge problem, but can happen, and will cause vibration problems. If the mounts have split badly, maybe they are causing a tight hose/wire to come slight apart when the engine shudders.

Mine is a 98 model, with 90,000km on the clock.
ARM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 21:03   #6 (permalink)
Stoked Ford Owner!

ARM79, how hard is it?

In my 98 EL Futura, my mums 98 NL Fairlane, and my dads 98 AU S1, you can hear the revs drop, and you can see it on the tacho, but its barely enough to feel it in the cabin.

Is yours like this? or is it very feelable?
Old 04-10-2003, 21:47   #7 (permalink)

My car had a similar problem bad idle and revs by itself... it was traced back to a $35 power steering switch being kaput. So the engine always tried to compensate for the power steering pump even when i wasn't steering.

Love cheap fixes:)
Old 04-10-2003, 22:06   #8 (permalink)

To be honest, I dont see the revs drop. Its more like its not firing on one cylinder for a moment. You can feel the shudder through the whole cabin.

Everything has been checked, and there is nothing wrong, so its mystery. It has just been put down to the XR6 cam is a little lumpier than standard, and mixed in with the faulty engine mounts. The dealer and I are going to retest that problem after the work has been done.
ARM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 22:22   #9 (permalink)
Stoked Ford Owner!

If it is still there after these engine mounts are fixed, i would say that it is the normal Ford I6 shudder. If the engine mounts are shagged, then the engine is probably resting on the chassis itself, magnifying the shudder. once the mounts are fixed, you will probably only hear the shudder.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:10   #10 (permalink)

My AU used to vary on idle between 600 and 800rpm until I spent $7 and replaced the PCV valve on the rocker cover.Problem solved
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech