Car running rough in heat?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2004, 21:28   #1 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Car running rough in heat??

Ok symptoms are:-
Car: AU2
When the fuels get down to 1/2 or less the car starts to run very very rough.. It won't idle almost to the point where it seems to be running on 2 cylinders... Now the car is undriveable, and the only solution is to leave the car sit in the shade for a few hours or re-fill the tank all the way back to full... I have already replacd the fuel filter, ISC and had the injectors cleaned, also tried running it with the A/C on and off..

The wierdest part is that without fail as you get to 1/2 tank of gas the engine starts missing.. From my understanding fuel injected cars shouldn't suffer from vapour lock but this sure sounds like vapour lock is the root of my problem..The car runs fine all night and really seems only to suffer during the day

I'm at the stage of replacing the fuel pump but other than that I have no idea what else to try...Any ideas, tips or similar problems would be great

Cheers
Tibbo

PS: always keeping the car full is not an option

Last edited by RaceCraft; 02-18-2004 at 21:30. Reason: forgot something
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 21:43   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Car running rough in heat??

Try driving with the fuel cap a little loose when you get near half, maybe the tank gets some weird vacuum pressure thing going ???

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 22:12   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Ok.. stage 2 is comlpete .. i have just replaced the fuel pump and filled the car all the way back to the top.. Now another strange thing has reared its ugly head... The ECU is now telling the odometer display that the DTE is only 203 klms.. I'm starting to think there is a problem between the ECU and the fuel sender.. I'll see if i can word this correctly: The car shows a full tank but the DTE is only 200klm.. Now when i do 200 klm and physically still have 1/2 a tank of gas the DTE would be showing 0 klm.. What sensors and adjustments does the DTE use/make and where does it get its data from? For example when the DTE is at 0 would it not somehow shut the fuel pump down to stop it from burning out?

Last edited by RaceCraft; 02-18-2004 at 22:14.
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 22:17   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Well my car is an EA Gia, but I do get a similar problem at times, mainly if am empty and I put in half is still thinks I have 80k's left and gets upset, it just says about 80k's sometimes re-adjusts its estimate, but mostly says 80k's till eventually it is really 80k's, but I fill it up it re-adjusts to normal just fine.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:09   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Is there any crap in the tank??

I a similar experience with a previous car, and it turned out to be masking tape floating around in the fuel tank. It would only do it when the tank got half way...
Old 02-19-2004, 02:55   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

the DTE should take in to account the fuel level in the tank and the present rate of fuel consumption (in L per kilometer) - if you thrash it mercilessly the DTE should take a big dive, and if you drive on the highway at light throttle it should improve.

the fuel pump will not shut down when the DTE gets to empty - the car will run as long as fuel is getting to the injectors.

as for whats causing the problem i cant think of any reason......apart from what EBXR said above of course.

maybe put a fuel pressure gauge on the car when it is playing silly buggers and see what it reads...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:32   #7 (permalink)

Is the gauge actually reading correctly? Not sure how difficult it would be on the AU, but note where the gauge is, then fill the tank to full. The amount should tell you if the gauge/sender is OK.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:05   #8 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Have you checked that none of the breather lines on the fuel neck are kinked?
I had this happen once, and it nearly blew me away with pressure when i opened the tank.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech