Car won't kick over. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2004, 16:22   #1 (permalink)
{';'}

Car won't kick over.

Yesterday I was rewiring my existing stereo as I bought some higher-quality wiring (Lightning Audio). I disconnected my battery (negative side, then positive) and hooked everything up. After I had rewired my system I connected the battery back. However, when I went to start my car it wouldn't kick over.

I've checked the fuses on the inside of the car but they are all okay. The interior lights work, central locking works, parking lights work and indicators work. Even the stereo works (all when the iginition is set to "accessories"). What I have noted is that when I turn the headlights on to normal or high-beam, the whole dash lights up (battery indicator, park brake light etc).

I am assuming it's a fuse within the engine bay somewhere. How can I determine what it is? And can someone point out where the other fuses are? I'd rather I fix it than the RACV...

Thanks for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 16:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Car won't kick over.

I'd say it wasn't a fuse problem, as you say your dash lights up. I would suggest that you disconnect the battery again, and reconnect it after cleaning the teminals. The cars computer may want to be re-set, like all computers do sometimes. Also make sure the earth (neg) side of the battery is really clean. I presume yoy connected the right lead to the right teminal? If you want to loo at the main fuses, they are in the engine bay on the drivers side in a black box about 100mm long, above the wheel arch . The othe fuses are inside the car, drivers side, under a little cover down beside the right hand side of the steering wheel. You may also have a short curcuit somewhere.
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
{';'}

I did have a look at the fuses both inside and outside. In regards to the fuses on the outside (driver's side), how do I determine if they are blown or not? They are little coloured cubes that I can't see if they are blown or not.

I will give the battery terminals a clean - I was going to try that also. What should I put over them afterwards?

Cheers.

Quote:
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
Old 02-06-2004, 19:55   #4 (permalink)

It could be the terminals shorting somewhere or not clean enough, The cars has a Short protection switch thing, It won't start if there is not enough charge, sometimes caused by not enough surface area of the terminals transferring charge...

The dash lights should be lighting up usually... Unless you have accidently pulled a cable out of your alternator? or wires are crossed somewhere...

"Useless helpful hint No 1."
Old 02-06-2004, 20:39   #5 (permalink)
XR Driver

Heh I had the same prob when i was playing with stereo wires

It was the fuse that says CRT LP I think thats for the central locking or Smart Lock???
Old 02-06-2004, 21:42   #6 (permalink)
{';'}

I cleaned the terminals thoroughly... Didn't help. Got the same problem. It's strange - when I put the headlights on normally, the whole dash lights up like I said earlier. I think it's RACV time, although I don't think they would be too impressed that it was my fault! LOL!

On the plus side, my 6*9s sound pretty damn good!!

Quote:

Check my ride, HERE
Old 02-06-2004, 23:42   #7 (permalink)

when u try to kick it over do u hear a click from ur starter motor?
Old 02-07-2004, 04:11   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

You didnt miss one of the wires on the battery did you, sometimes you can lose one between the battery and the block of relays and not notice it,
However if your whole dash lights up, sounds like a bit of an earth problem.
I'd check it all again.
Old 02-07-2004, 14:54   #9 (permalink)
-

i think you missed a battery earth there matey :)
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 16:45   #10 (permalink)

Check the earth lead from the body to the engine. I left that off one time after removing and refitting an engine. I had all sorts of problems, culminating in the fact that the engine wouldn't turn over on the starter, and all sorts of instrument problems. I had an auto elec. out, and he found the problem straight away: the earth lead. So I would check the earth points, maybe you disturbed one when you were re-wiring?
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech