Car won't rev and stalls when cold. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:04   #1 (permalink)
PC God, Car Newbie...

confused Car won't rev and stalls when cold.

Hi everyone, my ED Falcon has started having a few problems starting up in the morning. I usually give it a minute to warm up before I drive off, but I've never had problems when I have had to drive off quickly.

In the past few days, it won't rev past 1,000 RPM while cold. If I try, it will stall. After a hard time getting it to start back up, it will do the same. If I leave it for about 5 minutes to warm up, then it will let me rev to 1,500 RPM, but dies if I try to go any further.

If I let it warm up for about 10 minutes, I find I can rev it as high as I need without problems, so I know it's safe to drive off. Before I figured out this "test", it kept stalling every time I tried to drive off.

It's a dual fuel car, and does this on both Petrol or LPG, however I found that it seems to take longer to warm up when running on LPG. The car was serviced less than two months ago, and all the fluid levels are fine. Once it's running, it will run well.

The only other thing I have noticed is that it the idle when cold seems to drop to about 400RPM then jump back up to about 650RPM, this was never a problem before, and does not happen once it's warmed up.

Any ideas what the problem could be, or where I should start looking?

Thank you!
TheTechGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 06:38   #2 (permalink)
PC God, Car Newbie...

Re: Car won't rev and stalls when cold.

Anyone with any ideas?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:00   #3 (permalink)

Hmm,
i had a similar thing with my EB. Has this gotten progressivley worse?
Mine did..to the point where it rapidly become undrivable...hot or cold.

On the info you are providing, i would be leaning towards a faulty coil lead (they do fry)

The change in rpm...up and down up and down... is called hunting.
A faulty coil lead will cause this, as will a vacuum leak, and bad earth (check battery terminals are clean)

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:02   #4 (permalink)

On a side.
i doubt this is a MAJOR expensive problem to fix, as when electronics die, the just DIE!.

You will find it to be a minor servicing fault, that you will invest more time and effort in locating than what it costs for the cure.

Cheers
Jas
Old 04-27-2006, 06:27   #5 (permalink)

if ur having that sort of a problem u should check ur timing and ur inlet manifold it could have a slight leak coz ive had a simular problem with my AU then i got a new manifold and the injectors redone and ive had no dramas.
shagnwagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:54   #6 (permalink)

G'day,
have just finished a dual fuel EL 4.0L with idle probs as you describe.
I did spend some time with the regular driver, who being female, gave the worst definitions of faults.

Hers was hunting from about 300-1600 rpm on gas. I managed to identify the problem as headgasket due to the custard posing as oil.
when i stripped it down, it was in fact a broken headbolt. This in itself represents a headgasket replacement anyhow.

My above comments I still stand by, I am simply adding another avenue to be explored....based on RECENT experience.

Cheers
Jas
Old 04-28-2006, 07:59   #7 (permalink)
PC God, Car Newbie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24zzk
Hmm,
i had a similar thing with my EB. Has this gotten progressivley worse?
Mine did..to the point where it rapidly become undrivable...hot or cold.
A little worse, but it's drivable once it has warmed up. It's very annoying.

Quote:
The change in rpm...up and down up and down... is called hunting.
A faulty coil lead will cause this, as will a vacuum leak, and bad earth (check battery terminals are clean)
Coil lead/vacuum leak I don't know about. How much do these cost? Battery terminals seem to be clean.

Quote:
You will find it to be a minor servicing fault, that you will invest more time and effort in locating than what it costs for the cure.
How much time would it take to locate the problem? I'm not very mechanically minded and will need to take it to someone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagnwagn
if ur having that sort of a problem u should check ur timing and ur inlet manifold it could have a slight leak coz ive had a simular problem with my AU then i got a new manifold and the injectors redone and ive had no dramas.
How do I check these, and how much do they cost to fix?

Thanks everyone, I'm still trying to figure out what is going on...
Old 04-30-2006, 06:09   #8 (permalink)

G'day,
hard to advise you where to take it, as you don't list your location.
How long will it take to diagnose......thats a length of the string question.

Jas
Old 05-06-2006, 23:42   #9 (permalink)
PC God, Car Newbie...

Hi,

I'm in Victoria, anywhere around the CBD or south east will be fine since I'm in the area quite often.

Thanks for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech