Carby cold air induction - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2003, 07:09   #1 (permalink)
P Plater

Carby cold air induction

Hi Everyone.

I have tried to do searches for this on the forum but cant find much on carby cold air induction and have some questions.
1.Has anyone tried this?
2.Is it worth it?
3.Would it be worth making an adaptor that would bolt onto the carby so you could use a EFI filter box and piping leading to the carby whyle removing the existing air cleaner?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
YellowXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2003, 07:17   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

It is worth it, the colder the air you suck into the engine, the more power you will make. Some cars like the carby falcon XF 6cyl had cold air intake setups.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:21   #3 (permalink)
P Plater

Re: Carby cold air induction

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
It is worth it, the colder the air you suck into the engine, the more power you will make. Some cars like the carby falcon XF 6cyl had cold air intake setups.
EDXR8

The car that i am looking at installing this in is a XF falcon carby. I just dont like the distance that the air has to travel to get into the air cleaner and think that if i designed a better forced setup i could possible also make the air swirl more. oh, and i dont like the huge air cleaner on the carby, looks poxy and gets hot.

Tom
Old 06-19-2003, 07:37   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Yeah, I know it doesn't look that good. I would think the best sort of setup would be a pipe leading to a pod style K&N or similar filter in the front bumper.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 16:16   #5 (permalink)

Wink

The Air Box in front of the Windsreen at the rear of the Bonnett makes a good Air Dam, as the air while driving swirls in that part.

You can run a pipe back to there from the Carby and make up a fitting to mount the pickup on the Firewall side of it.

"Big Blocks" make them Tuffer.

You can beat Horsepower but you can't beat Cubic Inches.

Fords came out with Big Engine bays, Fill them with a "Big Block"
That's the way they should have been.
Fords R Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 19:22   #6 (permalink)
P Plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords R Tuff
The Air Box in front of the Windsreen at the rear of the Bonnett makes a good Air Dam, as the air while driving swirls in that part.

You can run a pipe back to there from the Carby and make up a fitting to mount the pickup on the Firewall side of it.
Sounds Interesting, will have a think bout it. any other ideas peoples :)

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-19-2003, 19:57   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I changed my XF carby intake, I drilled the rivets out on the snorkle part of the air filter, and put a block off plate over the hole, I then cut a hole on the other side of the air filter, so that it was over the intake towards the front not the exhaust, and riveted it back on, to make it cooler for a start, I then put in a UNI Filter (could use whatever you want), I then used some standard plumbing fittings, and some AG pipe to get air beside the headlight, after a little removal of metal.
I also had made up a brass block to allow me still run the sensor that was in the intake manifold, but not pass any water through the manifold to keep it cooler.
I ran this setup for at least 4 years, and it was great, not a problem, car felt alot better to drive.
I dont think I have any pics of it, but I could draw some pics if you really want. I still have the brass block, I can post a pic of that.

PM me if you would like more details.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 20:00   #8 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

P.S. you can forward mount a POD filter as well, I did modify it to do that as well, I just used something to cover the AG pipes cause of the holes, you must run some sort of metal cage inside the original air filter box, rip apart an old filter works well, the metal cage is maintain fire should the car backfire up the carby.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech