Cat Converter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2002, 15:05   #1 (permalink)
1996 Manual EFII GLi

Cat Converter

I know there has been a lot of talk about getting an exhaust system beefed up. But my question is what about the Cat Convter. Will keeping the original cat make it perform worse. I am planning on extracters and a 2 1/2 inch system. What do i need to know about the cat. Should i get it replaced?
LittleJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2002, 02:08   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

There are high-flow cats available, but some people regard them as not worth the money.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 03:19   #3 (permalink)

just hollow it out. Though that is naughty and the cops will cruicify you if they find out. But my car sounds like a V8 and goes a bit better for it too.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 16:20   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

I have a high flow cat on mine, and IMO they're not worth the money if there's nothing wrong with your current cat. When I bought my car the cat was stuffed, and it was only about an extra $50 for a high flow instead of the standard one.

I've been told that ford I6 cats flow very well, but another option you could consider is to try one from a different model (i.e. 5.0 V8s, even Gen3's). The advantage of this is that almost any cat from any car can be attached to your existing exhaust system and it may work out cheaper than getting a new high flow one.

Lastly, if you're gonna gonna hollow out your cat, then get someone to weld a piece of straight pipe inside it, as it helps flow and significatly deepens the note. Having said this, I DO NOT recommend that you hollow out your cat, as if you are caught i think there is a minimum $5000 fine, not to mention the fact that the fumes from the cat-less exhaust will kill the environment (and people!).

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 05:15   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yeah hollowing out your cat is a VERY BIG NO NO!!!!

use your standard cat, but get the exhaust shop to chop the ends off it so it is a 2.5" opening at both ends, thats the best way to go.

VT onwards cats are slightly bigger than equivalent falcon ones (i think its cause the V6 is less effiecient than the I6, due to old design, but thats my theory and is not proven in any way) so if you want you could get them to cut up a V6 cat, the genIIIs have two smaller cats so they are not an option.

i am getting a proper exhaust soon and i will be getting the V6 cat instead of re-using mine, but i got the commo one for free with only 60,000k on it, thats the main reason im using it...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:49   #6 (permalink)
MustardX

Just bash the guts out of it,
I'd be interested to hear of anyone who knows of either cops or the transport boys tearing your pipes out to have a look on the side of the road. keep a spare handy incase you get sent over the pits.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:15   #7 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

All the police have to do to find out is tap the thing with a spanner
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 07:22   #8 (permalink)

All they have to do is smell the exhaust... Pretty easy to notice, even when your just following a car without one....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 07:40   #9 (permalink)
MustardX

Can't say i've noticed a different smell, as for spanner tapping, it should have a crappy heat shield crimped on it. Still you could just lower the car enough so that you can't get you head past the sill unless its on a jack. the cops down there must be keener than up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech