Catty's pushed back (illegal) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 19:57   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Question Catty's pushed back (illegal)

Anyone have there exhaust system done on the car and had there cats pushed back from original position.
I know this is illegal but it actually gives you more of an increase i hear

Is this true?
MKII240T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 20:04   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Can't see how it could be true. Whether you have 2.5" diameter cat at the end of the extractors or halfway down the car, it is still a 2.5" 'restriction'. Perhaps they don't work properly further away from the motor? Again can't see how this would affect performance as the job they do shouldn't affect the flow rate - the fact that they are there does this!

And mine are not in their original position - they're probably close, but not exactly as I now have Tri-Ys, instead of the standard old manifold.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

they move them back to make the pipe length of the headers longer. Which to my understanding is better for torque. The thing with moving back though is they take longer to warm up which can mean you produce more emissions at lower engine temps.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 22:33   #4 (permalink)

hi flow cats!

Of cause the other alternative is to "hi-flow" you cat. The tool most commonly used for this performance "modification" is the humble broom handle thrust repeatedly into the ceramic of the cat . lol

Simon
BigBlock545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 00:38   #5 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

hmm -if you like being fined $20,000 for the above mod then i suggest you try it

yes - moving the cat back a little means it takes a bit longer to heat up, having a small effect on emissions, but i really doubt that any cops/the rta would notice a few cms difference.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:45   #6 (permalink)

My extractors are ceramic coated inside and out, and the cat is further back, but as the heat is traped in more from the ceramic coating I belive this counter acts the problem.

Also as exhaust gasses cool down the velocity degreeses, so having the cat further away poses less of a resriction.
AU Series 1 I6 Futura, 17" XR Series III Rims, Kings superlow springs and Bilstien shocks, K-MAC adjustable caber kit, xr8 snorkle, BMC Filter, EF a/box lid, custom storm water pipeing, pacemakers, h/flow cat, 2 1/2" zorst mandrel bent, dyno'd @ 117.2kwrw b4 bmc
ir33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:44   #7 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

What's the situation if you have headers that end in a 2.5" cone, with high flow cats (not the broom handle variety, hopefully) that are 2.5" diameter that continue as twin 2.5" pipes joining into a single 3" system. Surely the flow in this type of system would be most restrictive where the pipe becomes the single 3"? The cats should make no difference to performance as they are the same diameter as the two into one system. Or am I missing something here (besides a brain - lol).

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 06:16   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Also as exhaust gasses cool down the velocity degreeses, so having the cat further away poses less of a resriction. [/B][/QUOTE]

Incorrect!! The hotter the gases the thinner it is & hotter the cat the better = less restriction. Cats are further back due to long tube extractors. Realy for "mild"[as in std cam heads] steet use a good 1 5/8 shorties would be better as in the States, but we tend to use long tubes here, a carry over from the past imo..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech