CFI mods without MPEFI conv - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2002, 22:30   #1 (permalink)

CFI mods without MPEFI conv

just wondering if its a pain or if its easy to modify the CFI 3.9

i mean can the carby, cam, heads, all be "done over" like the
old 4.1 crossflow and 302/351 V8's? or is it a more technical
complicated engine than the previous ford engines... i dunno much
about the 3.9/4.0.... so if i know its as easy to modify as the 4.1 six i'll be sweet...

any help appreciated

p.s roughly how much will the mods cost and is there a CHIP that
i can change on the CFI or is CFI just a nicer term for carby...
3inch exhaust
ea_39_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2002, 00:18   #2 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

You cant change the carby cos there isnt one, CFI stands for Centre-point Fuel Injection, if you take the top of the air filter off you can see the 2 fuel injectors.

You could work up a CFI and get better results than standard but whether or not you can get results just as good as a worked MPFI is a mystery, I was talking to my foreman (who has worked for ford and ran a ford dealership for 3 years and helped design the fuel injection systems on falcons) about changing over to MPFI so I'd have a good base to start on for mods and he said I'd be wasting my time and money cos there isnt much to gain unless you started mucking round with the manifold

The same mods apply to what you'd do to any other engine, depends on how crazy you want to go, alot can be done to the head, LukeyN gained something like 18kw from just a set of extractors, but yeh, the sky is basically the limit
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:09   #3 (permalink)
EB wagon

I agree with ed to somewhat there... I didnt notice that much of a gain at all when i converted over to the MPI setup. The only thing i did notice was that it picked up a fair bit faster from idle.
And that it would start a hell of a lot easier when cold.
Mid-high range, i couldnt really notice much difference at all.
Only when i got the headers & exhaust done, did i notice an overall performance improvement.

Brent
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:40   #4 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

When I converted my EA to MPI I noticed it had not a great deal more power but there was definately a power increase. This was proved by how much easier it was to do burnouts :) It also had much better takeoff and a deeper exhaust note.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:46   #5 (permalink)

Ram-Flo filter should help as well as extractors, zorst should gain anywhere from 8-15 kw in the process and abig inprovement in mid-range and top end power. Go for MPEFI in the long run but I am...!
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 01:12   #6 (permalink)
ex ea driver

Brent 79, u've got a wagon rite, wot did u do with a fuel pump? cos CFI has a different flow to MPFI, and i think on wagons the fuel pumps r welded into the tank i think, _ they sit horozontal rather then like a setan which is vertical, and silly me got a sedan fuel pump.
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:42   #7 (permalink)
XR82GO

Re: CFI mods without MPEFI conv

you will be really really really lucky to be able to get any more than 110rwkw out of a cfi engine
Where as there are company's building N/a 3.9L mpfi engines at 185rwkw
You do the sums

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:06   #8 (permalink)

Re: CFI mods without MPEFI conv

Peoples,

Dont under estimate the CFI. This is easily proven by tricking the comp into thinking the engine is below 50degree's with a resistor on the Water temp sensor.

This cuts out the adaptive nature of the computer and runs default tables giving so much more power its really noticeable!!!!!

From my trials with tricks, its really the computer holding back on ignition advance and fuel delivery thats the problem.

The drawback.. not as smooth, uses more fuel.. and unpredictable power delivery.. but christ.. it may hickup in 2nd gear.. but when it does.. nice amount of wheel spin at low throttle (there is so much potential for power there).

Any feedback from the guys that have done the ECU V swapover.. surely that could be adapted to the CFI to give real gains.
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech