Ford Forums banner

CFI + performance air filter = stupid crappy cfi engine.. :(

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  goldie1 
G
#1 ·
There must be a way to install a pod style air filter on a cfi engine. Alot of cars I see in mags, whether it's carby, dual, or multi point throttlebodies have these pod style air filters, which supposedly enhance performance, and engine note.

Other than replacing the air filter inside that stupid tennis racket thing, is there any other way I could get another style of open-air filter?

Also, I've heard that if you drive without the filter, and cover it's supposed to sound similar to the pod filter (MPEFI), I tried this quickly, and it sounded exactly the same. Man this CFI is givin me the shites!

Ne help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
Re: CFI + performance air filter = stupid crappy cfi engine.

you really will not get much, if any, benifit from it.
usually pod filters are used because they fit in a smaller space so are easy to set up on cars that need the cold air induction. they are also used on rice cars because they think there excel will go twice as fast with it.
the EA has preety much got cold air induction with the standard setup, and if you didnt notice the induction noise with the cover off then you wont with a pod filter.

G
#3 ·
Re: CFI + performance air filter = stupid crappy cfi engine.

Seriously man, convert over to MPI - You wont be dissapointed.. then get one of those nice big round hi-flow's for like $50, im telling you man with those things on you dont need a loud exhaust :) You get a nice note 2000rpm and up!

Brent

G
#6 ·
re.

How much is a conversion (incl. labour) cuz I seriously wouldn't have a clue on how to do it.

Also, has anyone had it done, and does anyone recommend ne places that do these conversions.

Thanks.

Then I can get one of those bloody pod filters, even though it probably won't make a difference.

BTW, why would the MPFI sound mad without the filter and lid, whereas the CFI doesn't...

Thanks Guys..
Dave

#8 ·
Re: re.

dude, i toyed with the idea of making some sort of adaptor to the throttle body of the CFI engine so I could fit a pod filter. I'd seen it done on a carby Gemini with some CarLover's vaccume hose. But then I took another look at the CFI engine and you really can't improve on the Ford setup, unless you widen the opening of the air ram at the top of the radiator. Changing to a pod filter on a CFI will just degrade performance. Try putting a Unifilter into the 'tennis raquet' if you are really that deadset on getting one. At least it will have less restriction than your average Repco filter.

G
#9 ·
re.

These unifilters.. Their foam yeah? I've seen them on the net, I think the one that goes into the CFI Ea, is a green or yellow colour? I dunno, but where would I find one of these.. Went to Autobarn in Sunshine (one of the biggest autobarns in victoria) and they didn't have the CFI K&N filter in stock, he said he could order it in but it would cost $125???! For a normal replacement air filter? I thought this was way overpriced. I thought these would go for about $50?

Where can I find these Unifilters? What retailers stock them?

When to Mayday, and the guy at the counter didn't even know what a K&N filter was! He goes, "K&N? Is that like a brand or something?" I couldn't beleive it. It prolly wasn't his fault, he was a young guy and probably just started working there. At least he was polite.

I hate looking for stuff for my car sometimes, most of the people that work in the automotive industry are such arseholes, that have no customer service skills at all. Not all, but most..

Sorry bout that guys..

Dave

#11 ·
Re: re.

LOL.. Autobarn Sunshine, that's my turf buddy!!!! ;)

You should have went across the road to Burson, they have a decent range of hi-flow filters, and there prices are not too bad, not sure if there are any for CFi though.

Maday is probably the best place for new parts I have ever been to. They are always the cheapest, always have everything and can tell you where it goes, and how to change it, but they dont deal in performance parts.

As for the MPI parts, there in the "For sale section".
Not sure what else is needed, should not be much, might want to ask SPHELL or Brent79.

G
#14 ·
exhaust note

my EB sounds like it is supercharged when really comin onto it. I like my dad to drive past so i can listen to the big 4.0 bitch's sound. All i have is a 3 inch sports exhaust with the front and back mufflers taken out and it sounds a treat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.